Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Re: At what limit does bluffing start to pay off in full ring limit games?

Premise: Don't bluff calling stations. They call. They don't fold. There are a lot of calling stations at the lower limits. But not everyone is a calling station. (Figure out who is who.)

Premise: Semi-bluffs account for a good chunk of the profits of a winning player - whatever the limit.

Conclusion: It is player/situation dependent, and is not as big a part of your game as it would be at higher limits, but it is a tool that should be used appropriately.

Note: Definitely use semi-bluffs to get free cards, especially against calling stations. The free card play is much more effective at lower limits.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:59 PM

Default Re: At what limit does bluffing start to pay off in full ring limit games?

I bluffed once at UB 5/10 last night in a 5 handed game. It worked. But it wasn't full so that might not be applicable.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:24 PM

There is some truth to that, I watched 100/200 on pokerstars and the # of crap hands winning was larger than normal.

I use semi-bluff occasionally at LL and don't mind getting caught, because then I never do it again, but the profitable seed of doubt has been planted... well ok never say never holds true, I might try it twice in a row even. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-t
Old 01-21-2004, 09:58 PM

it has been profitable for me at 2/4 so far. but i pick spots where i know nobody has anything. the interesting thing about bluffing is that you can only really successfully bluff at small pots. so it doesn't really seem worth it til you know when to steal.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:46 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

to me, this is more of a texture question than a size of the limit question. as you can face calling stations on the higher limits also. there are spots to do it in LL. maybe not as many, but they are there. especially if a higher limit guy is sitting in your game and is capable of folding a hand.

may not help much, but that's my take on it.

b
Old 01-22-2004, 09:36 AM

bernie,

Didn't you pull off a stone cold bluff playing .02/.04 on Poker Stars once?

Maybe our poster should try that game.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 01-22-2004, 10:47 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

actually it was on UB .01-.02 game.

i gotta give the guy credit for the discipline to fold. even though it was only 2 cents. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2004, 11:09 AM

Default The reason behind my replies.

[ QUOTE ]
actually it was on UB .01-.02 game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh sorry, I thought it was at least double that. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

The point of my replies here is simple. It doesn't matter what level you are playing to bluff. Bluffing is entirely indpendant of limit. It's competely situation dependant.

Frankly, I feel our poster should learn how to value bet, use check-raises properly, 3-bet the right situations, semi-bluff, etc, before he learns how to bluff.

Instead of slamming down his mouse when someone calls his un-improved AK w/bottom pair when he raised preflop and bet it the whole way, expecting them to fold. How dare they call?!? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Peace,
Joe Tall