Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 04:52 PM

Default 75-150 Stud: Running a Bluff With Scary Board

75-150 stud at Taj. We're just getting started on Friday afternoon so we're playing 3-handed (game filled soon after). Villian in this hand is a very nice guy, but also a very good player (at least compared to the usual lineup in this game). He knows me and I think he respects my play to an extent. Anyways...

Villian brings in low with an 8 up. I raise next to act with (K,9) 10, no suits. Other guy mucks a 4 or something. So heads up to 4th.

4th street

Hero (Kx,9x) 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian (x,x) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He checks, I bet and he calls.

5th street

Hero (Kx,9x) 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian (x,x) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

For some reason, I think I'm first to act and go to bet which I guess was believable to my opponent who seemed to hesitate and then checked. I bet and he called. Scary board and I have a pair now.

6th street

Hero (Kx,9x) 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian (x,x) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He checks, I bet, he goes into the tank and finally calls. Ugh.

On the river, I hit nothing. He checks. What's my play in this huge pot? What about the rest?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-13-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: 75-150 Stud: Running a Bluff With Scary Board

Jeff, aren't you really the only one that can answer this?

If he's a good solid player, go ahead and bluff if you catch any 2 or 4. Something like that. Or, save that $150 for that romantic evening you and mscags have planned. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2005, 05:44 PM

I think you need to fire the river. While there is a decent chance he will call, I think he will fold enough of the time (of course, you have a better read on him than I do). The way he called sixth street could certainly mean he picked up a spade draw and was trying to think about whether your fifth club was better than jack high. Unfortunately since he knows you are a good player he probably knows to call the river with some hands that beat one pair of nines.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Jeff, aren't you really the only one that can answer this?

If he's a good solid player, go ahead and bluff if you catch any 2 or 4. Something like that. Or, save that $150 for that romantic evening you and mscags have planned. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You bitch [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2005, 06:27 PM

One way that I thought about playing the river is to put your bet out in front of you, and scream at the top of your lungs: "FOLD!!!!!!!!!!" But, this actually might have worked better on 6th.

Honestly, I'd say he picked up two pair, and is unwilling to fold.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:30 PM

Default RESULTS

Ok, this hand probably wasn't that interesting. I bet the river and he called. He had two pair (8's and 3's) so he won (he had 83 down). More comments welcome. I'll post some more hands from the session tomorrow.

Jeff
Old 11-13-2005, 11:38 PM

I've read the other replies but not the results. I like how you've played this thus far. I think you have to bluff the river. It won't work most of the time, but he doesn't have to fold very often for that bet to show a profit.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:49 PM

You guys play better than me, but I'm going to give you my humble opinion anyway. I hate to charge right up to the river & then check a mediocre hand. So I would bet. My opponents are worse players than your op here, but can this guy always guess to lay down a pair of 8's & call with something a touch better? I don'think so.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:26 AM

I wouldn't bluff here because I never bluff.......
Old 11-14-2005, 08:35 AM

Hey Jeff. Why does everyone in this thread favor bluffing so much here? What, you have no showdown value with a pair of nines? The way I see it when he calls sixth he most likely has 1.) a pair (likely lower than nines) with a spade draw 2.) a hand like two pair that hes not folding for one bet on the river once he calls. Given that I think these are his most likely holdings I cant say I like the river "bluff" at all when he checks to you. Is my stud game atrophying due to too much hold'em lately or what? I've read all the responses and why am I the only one that thinks this is a clear check? "Bluffing" just cant be right here.

Mike Emery