Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: How smart are you?

Old 10-29-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I got a 1600 on my SAT. What do I win?

[/ QUOTE ]

My esteem, as you got the 10 points that I missed. And I still suck at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a 1600 too. They say people who get 1590s are more likely to get into college.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd assume you mean into an elite college? I think the whole process was bullshit. Not because I didn't get into some schools I applied.. that's perfectly reasonable (only had like 3.6 in HS and didn't do [censored]), but because some of my very qualified friends were rejected from basically everywhere they applied.

[/ QUOTE ]

the college process is a jopke

i didnt get into my top 4 colleges, and frankly, was bitter for almost 2 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can top that. I wanted to go to college in California, so I applied to 8 colleges there. 0 for 8.

So I went to University of Colorado for one semester, but ended up quitting and going to college in Australia.

But yeah the college process in America has serious bullshit issues, the validictorian at my highschool with a 1600 SAT score didn't get accepted into a some colleges (denied by some of the Ivey league ones). I think Americans overvalue extracaricular activities.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:01 PM

College process in US is perfect. I went 1 for 1.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when i was young, like 7, I had an IQ of 160 or something. its been all down hill from there intelligence-wise. I would like to think i'm at like 130-140ish right now but i don't know or care if I am. i did get 2160 (equiv 1440 or so?) on the new sat and 31 on the act while refusing to study for either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd just like to point out that your IQ isn't supposed to change over your lifetime unless you've managed to loose many brain cells via drug use, drinking etc. IQ is supposed to be intrinsic.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like a really terrible strategy in general but I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:51 PM

I've never taken SAT's as I live in Canada, but I got into one of the best universities in the country.

I score in the 130's in the IQ tests I have taken. This is normaly a very good score, but it seems I'm the dumbest person in these forums.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's just super, I'm so happy for you.

But not everyone can be a GIANT LUCKBOX WHO HITS HIS ONE-OUTER

edit: US Colleges are rigged.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
when i was young, like 7, I had an IQ of 160 or something. its been all down hill from there intelligence-wise. I would like to think i'm at like 130-140ish right now but i don't know or care if I am. i did get 2160 (equiv 1440 or so?) on the new sat and 31 on the act while refusing to study for either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd just like to point out that your IQ isn't supposed to change over your lifetime unless you've managed to loose many brain cells via drug use, drinking etc. IQ is supposed to be intrinsic.

[/ QUOTE ]

not entirely. it's your mental age/real age. if your mind develops early you'll have a higher IQ when you're younger.
for the most part you're right though.
besides, IQ tests study one specific aspect of intelligence and there are many flaws to them. being a student of cognitive science, I've been told to hate them.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:10 PM

I heard that 90% of people rate themselves as "of above average intelligence".

97% of people who score less than 100 in IQ tests never admit to their result.

82% of people publishing their IQ results scored over 120.

Warning: 72% of statistics in this message are inaccurate.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I got a 1450 on my SATs, and a 169 on an IQ test a while back. I don't really beleive in the validity of either of those tests though.

[/ QUOTE ]

no you didnt, im sure you could be smart, but 169 is almost 5 standard deviations above the mean. so... nope.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took it when I was in 1st grade and had about a 7th or 8th grade education in math at that point, which I'm sure gave me quite an edge. I took because my mother decided I was too smart for school and had a child study team come prove it. This made me an egotistical prick.
Oh, what percentile would 5 std devs put me into? I can't remember my statistics crap.