Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 01:20 AM

Default Re: I have no idea how to play.

I play it almost the same way. Sometimes I donk the turn so he doesn't check behind and take a free card for a flush draw. More often than not though I donk the river because I don't want hands like KK and JJ to see a free showdown. It's almost like a WA/WB situation except for the fact that he probably won't raise your river donk even if he's got you beaten (unless he has you crushed with AA, QQ, or a flush). However I think you make more in the long run with these river donks vs. the number of times you donk-call his river raise.

Also, a read on the villian is pretty important here.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had been playing 3/6 for a measly .43bb/100 over 13k hands. SO i went to stars to play the 2/4 for the bonus and am getting kicked in the face. So i figure if i can't beat 2/4 i shouldn't play 3/6.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't really know anything after 13k hands.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:32 AM

yeah, 13k is nothing. I was break even in my first 8k of 3/6 and ended up +2bb after about 30k hands.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:16 AM

Poker is not played in a vacumn, so you need some sort of a read here, to enable people to give you more than a general opinion. The way you played it passively is ok against a complete unknown,
But I would prefer to play it more aggressively on the flop, either to mix it up or against a player you have a read on as more aggressive, 3 bet the flop. This will a least rule out hands like KK JJ QQ that sometimes 2 bet the flop either in fustration or to check through the turn after the 2 bet.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my oppionion may be controversial here...

in general, i found that the players at 1/2 and 2/4 were so ridiculous... that most of your educated thought processes about putting guys on hands, etc... are close to useless. save yourself some grief.

in short, untill you reach 5/10, toss your copy of HEPAP out the window. play tight, wait till you have a bigass hand, and make your money off those cold-callers and maniacs when you have them crushed.

this may not make you as much as you could if you could truly read all those guys... but why waste the time trying? save a few bucks and step up to 5/10 asap, where your attempts to read reasonable players aren't completely futile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll bite. This advice is awful.

/mc
Old 10-21-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

toss your copy of HEPAP out the window.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO. So true. So very true at the lower limits.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:34 AM

your avatar is absolutely terrifying.

to the OP, i'm torn between playing it exactly how you played it and trying to get another bet in there somewhere. im not sure what's best, but i think they way you played it is fine. i just got done screwing with the PS 2/4 for a bit and it seems really passive. actually, if you wanted to pm me your screen name i'd be interested, i probably have some hands with you.