Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Re: So I\'m golfing with an NFL Hall of Famer tomorrow

LD: Well, of course Super Bowl IV was the ultimate. If I could choose one play from that game, it would have to be a little hitch pass I threw to Otis Taylor in the third quarter. He took it all the way in for a touchdown and solidified the win.

My other favorite play was another pass to Otis in the playoff game against the Jets that put us in the Super Bowl. Funny how they both include him, huh? We were tied 6-6 in the fourth quarter on our own 20 and needed a spark. I've got to hand it to him, he called the play and made it work. I passed long to him and he took it all the way inside the Jets 20. The next play, we scored the game-winning touchdown.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LD: Well, of course Super Bowl IV was the ultimate. If I could choose one play from that game, it would have to be a little hitch pass I threw to Otis Taylor in the third quarter. He took it all the way in for a touchdown and solidified the win.

My other favorite play was another pass to Otis in the playoff game against the Jets that put us in the Super Bowl. Funny how they both include him, huh? We were tied 6-6 in the fourth quarter on our own 20 and needed a spark. I've got to hand it to him, he called the play and made it work. I passed long to him and he took it all the way inside the Jets 20. The next play, we scored the game-winning touchdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I don't want to look too much like a n00b when talking to a HoFer. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 02:53 AM

Sorry, His favorite play that he called In the huddle during the Superbowl. He called most of the plays himself.

[ QUOTE ]
Who is Otis Taylor?

[/ QUOTE ]

He caught six passes in the superbowl, one a 46 yarder for a touchdown. Total of 81 yards.

-Zeno
Old 10-11-2005, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, His favorite play that he called In the huddle during the Superbowl. He called most of the plays himself.

[ QUOTE ]
Who is Otis Taylor?

[/ QUOTE ]

He caught six passes in the superbowl, one a 46 yarder for a touchdown. Total of 81 yards.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I'll ask.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have any questions they want me to ask Len Dawson?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't he Lake Dawson's father, too? That's Lake, former Notre Dame standout WR, former KC Chief WR...what happened to him? I believe Lake went to highschool in Federal Way (20 miles south of Seattle), so I wonder if Len live(d/s) there...

If you don't wanna look like a n00b, find out if Len went to Notre Dame (that's a fairly popular father/son school), and then talk to him about modern day N.D. People love to talk about their alma maters.

And, if he's not Lake Dawson's pappa, sorry.

Josh
Old 10-11-2005, 03:03 AM

Purdue. I'll be sure and wear my Illini hat now. Glad I saw this post, I was just thinking if I'd wear a hat or not, and if it'd be the Cards or Illini hat. This makes it easy. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 04:41 AM

Lenny Dawson was drafted by the Steelers in 1957. He was the number 5 pick in the draft. Supposedly Paul Brown then head coach of the Cleveland Browns wanted to draft Len Dawson as Cleveland had the number 6 pick in the draft. When the Steelers drafted Dawson the Browns "settled" for Jimmy Brown who from my perspective is the greatest player ever blah, blah, blah. In fact Dawson ended up playing for Cleveland in 1961. At the time when it became evident how great a player Brown was people were musing about how forturnate the Browns were that the Steelers had drafted Dawson. Dawson got his chance to develop when the AFL came into existence and ended up in the HOF although if you look at his stats they're not remarkable, at least by today's standards. I might ask Dawson why he was a bust in the NFL and a HOF in the AFL. I'm not disparaging him at all because obviously he was capable of playing in the NFL (Superbowl IV [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). I just wonder why he couldn't find a home in the NFL. The Steelers were pathetic in the late 50's with some great players and certainly a great thorn in the side of the Browns but they had a terrible organization. Perhaps Paul Brown didn't give him a good look-see in 1961 but I know the Browns didn't have a QB of the caliber of Dawson in 61. Milt Plum was the Cleveland QB in 1961 as he had a good year in 1960. So maybe Paul Brown just didn't give him an opportunity.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:25 AM

Fred Arbanas, his tight end, was blind in one eye. It seems to me that if Fred's head was turned the wrong way he would not be able to see the pass. Was Len aware of that when deciding whether to throw a pass to Arbanas? Did it ever cost him an interception or game?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cool. He's a prostate cancer survivor, but he lost his brother to the disease. His performance in the 1970 Super Bowl, where KC upset Minnesota, was better than Namath's in the 1969 Super Bowl.

I'd ask him if he thought that Hank Stram was a great coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping you'd respond.

Isn't it accepted that Hank *was* a great coach? Before my time really....

[/ QUOTE ]

From the old NFL films it seems Shram was a character. Ask him for a couple of good Shram stories.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:01 AM

See if he keeps in touch with Ben Davidson