Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 01:15 AM

Default Re: My Bad Run -Help Requested

Since your bad run lasts for such a long time, something has probably changed in your play, in your opponents play, or both. If you think that you should be ITM let’s say 45% of the time, you should make more than break-even (approximated by 33%) 96% of the time in 50 games, and 99% of the time in 100 games. That’s assuming that the probability of being ITM follows a binomial distribution, what seems intuitively OK to me.

Good luck [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1) Any advice on how to tell you are running badly or just playing badly? Other then the obvious i got my money in with the best of it and lose scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you are getting your money in with the best hand doesnt mean you are playing optimaly. Think about what I mean by this. For example, getting all in preflop in the early levels is usually wrong except for a few hands. Also think about situations where your stack size matters very much in the decision.

Just study, read the boards, and the big ones is think about hands you played. Write down important hands during your session, then go back and look at them. You will learn from this and become a better player. If you are breaking even, you are very close to becomeing a good player. A few adjustments and you will be on your way.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:56 AM

What helps me the most is reviewing my biggest losing hands in PT. You have to go by level, but it still helps.

ie. I know that I'm a great player and I can play KJs in the early levels. I review PT and it says "Hey you idiot, you lose and average of 50+ chips on that hand in level 1." I review each KJ hand to confirm, and yep, I'm an idiot!

It also shows my biggest losing hand in level 1 is KK???? wft???? I review each KK hand and I have radically changed how I play KK. KK is now a winner (over a small sample size) for me...... I hope. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

If you don't have Poker Tracker AND Sit-n-Go Power tools, you're not really serious about this game.

Of course I could be wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

-----------Jeff

PS. I have no relationship with either product other than a satisfied customer.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:01 AM

I have and do use PT, but what, exactly, are SNG Power Tools? It's probably somewhere else on the board, but given your tout, would you mind giving a short description?

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:02 AM

You definitely need to post some "trouble hands" for better feedback.

It also sounds like you are suffering from a lack of confidence.

With aggression being so important in these games, I think that a good player with a lack of confidence will usually perform a lot worse than a not-so-good player with tons of confidence.

So post some hands, get some feedback, and attack the games with a new sense of confidence.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:45 AM

Check out the classifieds.

That's the fairest way to answer that I think.

Lori
Old 09-29-2005, 02:47 AM

Hmm, failing that (As I can't find it at a quick look) check out Eastbay's profile [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Lori
Old 09-29-2005, 03:04 AM

Lori - Your example situation about pushing A9s with 50/100 blinds UTG 6 handed seems standard to me. I don't see how cutting out a standard, winning (granted, marginally, winning) hand can improve your play. At least at the 109's, you need to push these small edges mid and late game.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:06 AM

or the FAQ, as i haven't editted that link out yet. though i have to soon.

cit
Old 09-29-2005, 03:08 AM

Hmm, a bad example, you're right.

I was trying to think of a play where it doesn't matter much what you do. Maybe A5s would be a better one for that example.

(I always forget to factor in that I play incredibly tight compared to almost everyone on the forum.)

The point I was after , and you're right to correct me, is that plays that are more table/read dependent than just ABC poker should be cut down on when you're analysing badly. You can soon rack up some -EV if you outplay yourself.

Lori