Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: PLEDGE

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good. Children being forced to recite a meaningless pledge at the beginning of the day is a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Children were never forced to recite the pledge. This whole case is total bullshit.

Saying that other kids can't recite the pledge-EVEN if they want to- is just ridiculous, and so typically leftist and Cyrusish.

Just no more proof that the hippies are no better than the Republicans when it comes to protecting free speech.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree.

I'm sufficiently embarassed by this country enough right now, that I won't do things like put my hand over my heart during the national anthem at ball games. Not doing so is my right and my choice, which doesn't affect a single other person around me. I don't feel the need to try to ban the playing of the national anthem at baseball games or anything.

Moral of the story: If you don't like the pledge, just don't say it. It's really not difficult. This court case is pretty ridiculous.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:07 PM

I agree for this to go to court is absurd, but in all honesty who cares? This country is all about suing this one and taking that one to court. I don't think it will kill anyone not to recite the pledge at school. And if you care so much about saying it, wake up 5 mintues early and recite it at home until your hearts content.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:40 PM

yah... and I shouldn't have to do what my boss tells me at work either.

I should always be rebelious... no wonder my generation doesn't know shiat about work ethic.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good. Children being forced to recite a meaningless pledge at the beginning of the day is a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about others, but even in the 80s i wasn't FORCED to say the pledge.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:00 AM

The constitution guarantees freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. And you can just tell your little atheist spawn to skip that part when they recite it in school

From the Declaration of Independence:

" When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

Motto of the United States:

"On July 30, 1956 a law was passed stating that "the national motto of the United States is hereby declared to be 'In God we trust'." (70 Stat. 732. 36 U.S. Code 186)."

There is also an easy remedy to this situation. Congress has the constitutional power to strip the federal courts, including the Supreme Court, of their appellate jurisdiction on any matter in which they do not possess original jurisdiction. Such a measure passed the House last year but didn't make it to the Senate.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:13 AM

I've never had much of a problem with the "one nation, under God" spiel, simply because there's no mention of a specific God. If it said "one nation, under Jesus," then I'd be pretty damn pissed.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:45 AM

In 1954, Congress after a campaign by the Knights of Columbus, added the words, 'under God,' to the Pledge. The Pledge was now both a patriotic oath and a public prayer.
And as such unconstitutional.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:08 AM

Default Wipe God off the Pledge

[ QUOTE ]
Children were never forced to recite the pledge.

[/ QUOTE ]
What I think is contested is whether or not the scool has the right to present such a "choice" to children, in a particularly coercive environment, i.e. having almost all the children reciting the "Under God" Pledge and isolating and socially ostracizing the few ones that dare to refuse.

As the atheist's lawyer put it :

[ QUOTE ]
"Imagine every morning if the teachers had the children stand up, place their hands over their hearts, and say, 'We are one nation that denies God exists'. I think that everybody would not be sitting here saying, 'Oh, what harm is that.' They'd be furious. And that's exactly what goes on against atheists. And it shouldn't."

[/ QUOTE ]

I get the impression that the folks against the Pledge are saying exactly what they feel (i.e. "No place for God in my Pledge!") while the pro-God people are hiding behind technicalities. Why don't they come right out and say it? They want a Christian God to rule over America and the American children and adults to be pledging their allegiance to an American nation under God. America is, after all, a Christian nation, right?

[ QUOTE ]
So typically leftist and Cyrusish.

[/ QUOTE ]
For the record, I'm a righty.

I use my left hand to wipe my ass or type responses to select 2+2ers.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:47 AM

Default Re: Wipe God off the Pledge

When the atheist takes the witness stand does he say "so help me God"? Just wondering if that's still the custom? If so, I think that's pretty funny. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2005, 07:26 AM

Default Ixnay

[ QUOTE ]
When the atheist takes the witness stand does he say "so help me God"?
Just wondering if that's still the custom.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about if atheists, or just plain pissed-off Americans, invoke dyslexia and proclaim "So Help Me, Dog" ?