Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: I don\'t like the Beatles

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
most overrated band in the history of music and its not close....they are simply just a pop band. while their music is by no means bad, its by no means amazing either...

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. Simply a pop band? Spoken like someone who heard She Was Just 17 on the radio once. If anything, they were the first pop band. You have either never heard the vast majority of the Beatles' catalog or you are trying to get a rise out of people. The late 60's/70's Beatles were the opposite end of the spectrum from "pop" music.

How many pop bands do you know that have the sheer volume of songs/albums that they put out? It was incredible how fast they wrote good music.

[/ QUOTE ]

not to mention that george martin and the beatles were responsible for sevral advances in recording technology.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Anyone who makes a song like this is a pop band. I hate this song so much it makes me sick every time some cover band at a bar plays it

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant reasoning there. I have 19 hours of Beatles on my computer. Should I stop listening to all of it simply because of 3 minutes that suck (and I agree that Ob-La-Di is annoying)?

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not saying that the beatles are not one of the best bands ever because they inflused most of the music out today. But they are not the type of music i like and that song just drives me nuts. BTW i hate almost all pop music.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Beatles Rock, but sometimes you are just not in the mood.... pretty simple

[/ QUOTE ]

too true.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:29 PM

what songs do you have? I mean, are we talking like I Wanna Hold Your Hand, or are we talking While My Guitar Gently Weeps?
Old 09-13-2005, 02:30 PM

I'm actually listening to the Beatles right now.

I have a feeling they were on to something, those Beatles, it's some good sh!t.

Next I will likely listen to Ying Yang Twins then BT.

I suck at music probably, [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

Yugoslav
Old 09-13-2005, 02:32 PM

Not all the beatles songs are pop songs, in fact alot of them are not even close. The most popular for radio purposes are pop songs and they are the ones most associated with them, but alot of their music is totally different.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW i hate almost all pop music.

[/ QUOTE ]
So do I. "Pop" music anymore is a bunch of no-talent ass clowns electronically modifying their vocals and having studio musicians or computer generated crap in the background. It's hardly music most of the time.

4 guys that actually wrote rock songs and played/performed them without the assistance of computers or anything to base their sound off of. What a novel concept.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most people in this category simply do not know the full Beatles catalog.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. As the Beatles have a song in nearly every genre except rap (which samples from every other genre, anyway), and since they exhibit incredible talent, there is surely at least a single song of theirs you like. This can't be said for very many bands.

The Beatles were one kind of group in the early 60's, and a very different band in the late 60's. The one thing that stayed constant was their talent.

A testament to their talent is that they are easily the most covered band of all time (must be some reason for this), and not a single cover is better than the original, even though there are some very good covers available.

Have you actually listened to the entire Beatle catalog/canon?
Old 09-13-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4 guys that actually wrote rock songs and played/performed them without the assistance of computers or anything to base their sound off of. What a novel concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are you talking about? Not the Beatles, who innovated a lot of the "studio help" that bands are using today, and couldn't perform half of their songs live. You think Eleanor Rigby was recorded by four guys without help?

BTW, I like some Beatles songs and don't like others. My favorites are probably "Drive My Car" and "Back In The USSR" - the stuff I don't like is the ditties and album filler stuff like Rocky Raccoon and the like.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find them mostly unlistenable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant stand them never have and never will.

[/ QUOTE ]

most overrated band in the history of music and its not close. if you gave someone who had never listened to music every cd in the world and had them listen to all of them, they would simply classify the beatles as average. they are simply just a pop band. while their music is by no means bad, its by no means amazing either...

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

But this is flawed in that some or alot of music that person is listening to probably wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the Beatles.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, tell me which reason makes you think that i should like the beatles:

a) they were the first pop band(who cares, im not a big pop music fan, this is only a negative in my eyes).
b) they made sweet advances in recording technology(sweet, their pop music was well recorded for the time).
c) me stating my opinion after hearing their songs is "blasphemy" and "ignorant". how again?

ive heard their entire catalog, trust me, many of the people in my town are beatles fanatics who talk about them like theyre gods. ive heard what they have to play, its pretty good, but when people say theyre the best band ever i am just baffled, best at what? best at writing? best at playing really simple musical parts? what is there for me to admire? i suppose some of the songs are catchy and there are fairly innovative things done with soundstaging(revolution 9) and they are well recorded, but why not praise their recording engineer? i just think there is a TON of overhype going on for them, which i dont really get.

rj