Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 03:03 PM

Default 99 and villan c/3bets the flop

Villian here is 35/13/.94 over 50ish hands

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero...

this screams trip 6s but should I peel one off and pray for a 9 on the turn or just give it up here?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: 99 and villan c/3bets the flop

If this villain had a 6 he would be more likely to check-raise the turn than 3-bet the flop. Cap the flop and see what he does on the turn.

Also, this is a must-raise preflop.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:18 PM

Raise preflop. As you played it, cap the flop. UTG+1 likely holds a worse PP. If not, you'll find out on the turn.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:20 PM

You must raise this preflop. It will make this hand about 100 times easier to play, and you will have a much better idea of where you are at when you get raised.

The way you played it I am calling it down

-Jonny C

http://jonspkerblog.blogspot.com/
Old 09-12-2005, 04:19 PM

i'm interesting in results (i like to be result-oriented [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ) this screams "doofus with AA" or maybe 22. doubting a 6 at this point.

i'm with the other posters: might as well cap the flop because you're getting bet into on the turn if you don't anyways.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:23 PM

I think this check-raise is at least as likely to be a spade draw as it is to be a 6.

I'm probably capping the flop and betting the turn, probably folding to a turn check-raise. You simply do not have enough reliable information yet to fold this hand. Sure, it appears your opponent is passive, but he also plays a fair number of hands, raises quite a bit pre-flop, and you have a small sample size. He may well be capable of check-raising with a draw here.

Also, I agree with all previous comments that you should raise this pre-flop.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this villain had a 6 he would be more likely to check-raise the turn than 3-bet the flop. Cap the flop and see what he does on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero...

this screams trip 6s but should I peel one off and pray for a 9 on the turn or just give it up here?

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, i think that limping is payable. you can play this for set value by limping and maybe gain info if it is raised behind you. raising may buy you the button but having the button here may not be that important. i do not think that it is a "clear" raise preflop.

since hero's hand will be best unless villain contains a 6 or is 22, spade spade being another potential holding with 88/77 being possible, this feels like a bet/fold (unimproved) on the turn and a check behind on the river (unimproved) type hand.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this feels like a bet/fold (unimproved) on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean? after capping the flop? or call here and...oh no i've gone cross-eyed! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] could you explain this line please.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, i think that limping is payable. you can play this for set value by limping and maybe gain info if it is raised behind you. raising may buy you the button but having the button here may not be that important. i do not think that it is a "clear" raise preflop.

since hero's hand will be best unless villain contains a 6 or is 22, spade spade being another potential holding with 88/77 being possible, this feels like a bet/fold (unimproved) on the turn and a check behind on the river (unimproved) type hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

My only comment about pre-flop play here is that I think for everyone here raising TT and certainly JJ is absolutely automatic. 99 is obviously only a slight downgrade from TT, has quite a bit of showdown value, and plays much better short-handed and in position.

Obviously you can't keep saying "oh, well xx is only slightly worse than yy so if we raise yy we have to raise xx," because eventually we'll be saying we need to raise 22. But 99 and, in my opinion, 88 and 77 all have enough value to merit a raise here.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this feels like a bet/fold (unimproved) on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean? after capping the flop? or call here and...oh no i've gone cross-eyed! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] could you explain this line please.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry... my bad. i lean toward capping the flop then calling down if villain leads the turn/river and bet/folding if he check raises the turn.