Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: KJo raising on the button.

I think I would have played i the same way but called the river bet. Definitley wouldn't have folded to one bet. If I had raised, would have called a re-raise. To me he could have AJ, QJ, 2's, 5's, 6's, or a two pair J. 34s is also a possibility. How he woke up on the turn, I would put him on J6s.(don't know why he would play that, but lots of these people play suited crap)
Old 09-07-2005, 04:24 PM

Did you have any read on the CO?

Pre-flop - I like the raise with position.

Flop - Betting when the field checks is obviously correct.

Turn
I can see the turn check-raise being a set of 5's or 6's, because many players like to slowplay trips/set on the flop and wait until the turn to raise. Putting him on a set may be too narrow, but if he is not a total LAG or donk, it seems reasonable. Perhaps I'm giving too much credit, but I've been reading several articles and posts that point out common mistakes in LHE, and calling turn raises (especially check-raises) without a very strong hand is one mistake that is given quite often as an example. In this case, I do think hero is ok to call the raise with TP/King kicker.

River
I am torn here. We obviously have enough of a hand to call the bet, but I don't know about raising. Not saying it's incorrect, but I don't know what the EV comparison of calling vs. raising would be. I'll try to do some calculations to see what I come up with, but would be interested in seeing others breaking this down (comparing EV of calling vs. raising).

JP
Old 09-07-2005, 05:23 PM

I think I overplayed the river. I failed in the heat of battle to work the hand backward. CO was a pretty decent player and would have suspected me of betting the flop with overcards, but the turn check-raise heads up was likely:

65, 22, 55, 66, 43, AJ, KJ, QJ. I am behind too many hands here and since I really don't want to fold to a 3-bet calling must be the correct play.

Villain shows 43s for the turned str8.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:38 PM

I would raise KJo on the button after two limpers.

As an earlier poster stated, 65 is a reasonable two pair hand I can see from a CO with those numbers. The only other hand may be 43 for the made straight. He's semi-loose, but not loose enough that I can give him credit for playing the other two pair hands that are possible. Therefore, I'm more inclined to believe he's pushing a set.

I would call the river even though I improved.