Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Butchered Boat

[ QUOTE ]
If the opponent has AK, for instance, do we really want him to fold? Or would we rather he just keep betting incorrectly?

[/ QUOTE ]

if its just the two of us, and we could put him squarely on AK, thats a fine thought process. but we're dealing with a handful of limpers. any broadway card is a scare card. and the fact that we're not closing the action weighs in on it- by calling, its easier for another limper to peel a card off with some high cards. we won't have position on anyone but the original bettor.

[ QUOTE ]
If the opponent has a higher pair, our raise only loses us money.

[/ QUOTE ]

taking into account the limping, a lower pair / broadway cards hand is much more likely than 9's and up. raise accordingly. and be content to take it down. facing an overcard out of position against two opponents is not something we want to (or have to) deal with.

[ QUOTE ]
If the opponent has a lower pair, our rasie kills the action, thereby losing us money.

[/ QUOTE ]

he might fold sixes or lower there, but its not likely at this level. also, a flop raise prevents a hand like 6's from coming over the top and making us fold a better hand. pocket sixes or worse aren't reraising his flop- by raising, i think you can get away from this hand easier if you are reraised on the flop. if you just call and its raised behind you, it makes for a tougher decision.

i still like the flop raise.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like check-calling the river.

once the bb calls, narrow his range to a 7 or a pocket pair. way ahead, way behind situation. check the turn. check-call the river. by checking, some hands worse than yours will take a stab at it, and quads will naturally bet as well, but it'll cost less than betting and facing a raise- you get value out of some worse hands, and you lose less when you're beat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-19-2005, 03:31 PM

Somehow I missed the button. I thought it was HU after the flop, and we were in position.

Based on this, I like the way the hero played it, except I also prefer check-calling the river.

How's that for an about-face?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on this, I like the way the hero played it, except I also prefer check-calling the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

In hindsight I definitely should have check-called the river, the only reason I put out the bet, (it was a blocking bet, not a value bet,) was so that I wouldnt have to call a $25 or $30 bet from villain. Not good thinking on my part as he seemed to be playing passively and probably wouldn't have bet too much on the river anyway.

I am glad to see that the concensus is that a check-call on the river is correct because that is what I thought as soon as the hand was over.

Sly