Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Poker \"career\" conundrum

[ QUOTE ]
I can assure you from personal experience that it just isn't so. The opponents at 2/4 are terrible, just like at .5/1. You don't give yourself enough credit. You're good enough to beat 2/4.

[/ QUOTE ]

so true. great post.

just don't let a 12k breakeven stretch discourage you.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think that poker is good for you, in many ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

And for the same reason, it can also suck your soul and make women hate you.

More later.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think that poker is good for you, in many ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

And for the same reason, it can also suck your soul and make women hate you.

More later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially the part about women hating you.

I swear to god it's not me. I'm pretty.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a practical suggestion. Set aside some small ammount of money, say $200, and take it to 2/4 expecting to lose every dime. Don't care how you lose it, just expect that you will. There won't be any internal pressure to play 'even better' than you normally do, and ironically, you'll end up playing the best you can. If you break your 2/4 roll, go rebuild it at your normal level and take another shot, expecting to lose the whole thing again. You'll crack it eventually. And 10k hands later, it will occur to you that 2/4 is now 'your level', and you won't have even noticed the shift.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually just did this the other day. I really like this idea. It took the pressure off, and I played it like I would a 1/2 game. I guess now I just hope I run good for a while so I don't have to start over with another $200. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2005, 02:59 PM

Anything to excess -- or pursued for the wrong reasons or using an unhealthy approach -- is bad, bro. You can die from drinking too much water. If you excercise too frequently, you could actually lose muscle mass.

But I await the 'more'...
Old 08-12-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here's a practical suggestion. Set aside some small ammount of money, say $200, and take it to 2/4 expecting to lose every dime. Don't care how you lose it, just expect that you will. There won't be any internal pressure to play 'even better' than you normally do, and ironically, you'll end up playing the best you can. If you break your 2/4 roll, go rebuild it at your normal level and take another shot, expecting to lose the whole thing again. You'll crack it eventually. And 10k hands later, it will occur to you that 2/4 is now 'your level', and you won't have even noticed the shift.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually just did this the other day. I really like this idea. It took the pressure off, and I played it like I would a 1/2 game. I guess now I just hope I run good for a while so I don't have to start over with another $200. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You actually don't want to run good. You want to have the same ups and downs as you do in your normal game. Then the day that you start to feel like it's the same, you stop having qualms about that particular limit.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:03 PM

or you could do what I did, let a friend convince you that 5/10 is a joke(it actually is) play it, run into some bad luck and lose a lot and then settle into 2/4 because 1/2 would take too long to make your money back and the pots there are no longer scary at all.

Worked for me and I'm loving 2/4 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

(note: this is probably bad advice)
Old 08-12-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...random psychobabble bullshit about how i can die from water...

But I await the 'more'...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sunday will have "A Week in the Life of Someone Much Cooler Than You."

I've had a fairly interesting week with sex, drugs, and juvenille drama (and perhaps some poker?!). I've decided to share it with all of you guys before I go pn a month long sabbatical.

It will be entertaining to say the least.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:06 PM

I have a similar problem, perhaps. I still mutlitable the .5/1 even though I have a roll consisting of well over 1000BBs.

You may think you're playing under your bankroll, but in a way you're really not. A bankroll is the amount of money you're willing to put at risk, and an amount that is devoted to playing poker. And though you may have made enough money at poker to play at the 3/6 level, you're not willing to put that much at risk, so you're not actually bankrolled for the 3/6. For instance, even though I've made a couple thousand at .5/1 this year, my roll really isn't 2000 bucks, because I'm not willing to devote that much money to poker. I could handle a 150BB downswing at .5/1 and be fine, but at 3/6 it would definitely send me tilting. So I don't play 3/6, even though I technically could have a roll large enough to support it. In theory.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:10 PM

MOD??

I´ve never heard off that before.

What would be a good MOD for party and cryptologic?