Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 03:32 PM

Default QQ in CO early in a $33

Very early in a $33 MTT, started with about 900, down to 850 or so. Blinds 10/20. No reads to speak of on these players yet. Relevant stacks:

BB: 1,160
MP: 1,170
Hero (cutoff): 990

Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Folded to MP who limps, Hero raises to 70, BB calls, MP calls.

Flop is T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

(Pot is 220) Checked to hero who bets 140. BB calls. MP raises all-in for 1,100 more.

To call or not call and why?
Old 07-21-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: QQ in CO early in a $33

Sure looks like spades to me. Can't think of any fives that limp/call here preflop.

I call.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:05 PM

I actually limp call here with 53s-58s.

That set aside, I think this is a very easy call. It looks like a flush draw, and it could even remotely by a T. Odds are skinny that he would play a set this fast.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:05 PM

This is tough. You're getting 1.6:1 if BB folds, and better than 2:1 if he calls. BB folding is our best case. I think you're up against 2 spades, AT,KT (with a spade), or some other pair often enough to justify calling. Not very mathematical, but if we do the analysis, I think call will be the answer.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:09 PM

the BB call worries me more than the push, if any one in is hand is ahead of you it s him. But I still call...

BB could have Ten Ten here or a 5..

MP no way he has Ten Ten , he would not want you to going anywhere. A 5 in his hand is very unlikely.

MP looks more like a flush draw with overs, or a mid pair that is being played strange.

With all this I call and hope that BB folds.... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 04:09 PM

How often is MP calling a raise with 65, 54, A5 here? A lot less than the times he's making a play with AT, KT, JT, JJ, 99, two spades...i can go on if you want?

So I'd call.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:11 PM

I hope everyone realizes that people do call 1/20th of their stack raises with a hand like 56s to flop this and bust an over pair.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:14 PM

Yeah I know, and I call them idiots... (just kidding)

But Iam the one that feels like an idiot when the bust me like that [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]..

It just seems more likly that MP would limp in with a 5 after other limpers , and not open limp with this hand. I think is more commen to see a 5 when MP limped after 2 or 3 limpers knowing the implied odds would be there if he hit. Just a thought.

If he has a 5 he lucked out because I am paying him off most of the time.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:16 PM

Hero calls.

I can't see MP limping and not reraising against two players with a big pair so I think AA-KK is out of the question. TT or a 5 and they would raise less looking for a call. That leaves AT, JJ and flush draws with the ace.

BB has to have something to call the initial flop bet, but it doesn't have to be the nuts, I think he has to raise with the 5 for fear of the spade. I think a T is likely, wanting to keep the pot small.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: QQ in CO early in a $33 RESULTS

You are (mostly) all focusing on MP as was I at the time.

I think BB is the more troubling villain here. MP was almost certainly on a spade draw, with some kind of T possible I suppose. I don't know because this was on Pacific and you can't see hole cards for losers.

I called and BB called as well. BB had 45o and both MP and I went home early.

I wondered if the presence of the BB still in the hand and still to act after me would make a difference to anyone. Looks like you all analyzed it the same way I did. I really didn't think MP had the 5 and I couldn't see BB with it either. Figured one for a spade draw and the other for T or some low-mid PP. BB couldn't know that MP would go all in and he had to be worried about the flush draw with 2 others in the pot. I think he misplayed it, but he caught the luckbox.