Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 06:57 AM

Default Re: Hypothetical Questions

also vulturesrow's statement is not illogical or irrational in any meaningful sense, you should know better than to just throw those words around randomly David.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:28 AM

I am under the assumption that when you confess a sin and are forgiven, there is a presumption that you will make a mighty attempt to not to it again.

Meanwhile how can there be any argument that not taking the money is a sin if that money will be used to save thousands of lives but only if one takes the deal?
Old 07-02-2005, 08:47 AM

Default The Long Road Home

[ QUOTE ]
Would you cut off your own leg to prevent the tsunami??

[/ QUOTE ]

In the case of war amputees, it is fair to say that, in terms of expectation, they did agree to have a limb cut off in order to do their job. One may substitute "job" with a fair description of pious and altruistic endeavors, equivalent to preventing a tsunami.

I understand and accept that a person will tend, in general, to under-estimate greatly the chances of losing a limb (or a life) in combat. The fact remains, however, that said person is not estimating, in general, that probability to be zero.

link
Old 07-02-2005, 08:53 AM

Default \"And don\'t come back!\", she said to Borgia

[ QUOTE ]
I am under the assumption that when you confess a sin [in the Christian religion] and are forgiven, there is a presumption that you will make a mighty attempt to not do it again.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure this is the case, actually. Any experts out there ?

I think one can sin and, then sin again and again, committing the same sin every time, and getting forgiven every time as well. (I accept that the number of assigned Hail Mary's will propably be rising tremendously every time the priest sees the sinner's sorry ass again, but that's irrelevant.)

I know of historical precedents with Popes sinning serially.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Re: The Long Road Home

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Would you cut off your own leg to prevent the tsunami??

[/ QUOTE ]

In the case of war amputees, it is fair to say that, in terms of expectation, they did agree to have a limb cut off in order to do their job. One may substitute "job" with a fair description of pious and altruistic endeavors, equivalent to preventing a tsunami.

I understand and accept that a person will tend, in general, to under-estimate greatly the chances of losing a limb (or a life) in combat. The fact remains, however, that said person is not estimating, in general, that probability to be zero.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, this reply is pretty much way off.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:41 PM

I agree with the $5 million, but not the $1,000 - if the loved one is awake and aware.

The main aspect of my reasoning to take the $5 million is that I've had time with them throughout our relationship and one day won't make that much difference. In the normal situation, the loved one will not be alone. He or she will have other loved ones and/or caregivers with them. Though, if I am very close to them and they would like me to be there, it would be a more difficult decision. But $5 million is a lot of money. And, most of my family would understand my decision.

At first thought, it seems rather heartless not to fore go money to be with someone their last 24 hours. But, there are lots of times when people can not be with dying loved ones, for many reasons and it's okay. Very often, probably usually, you don't know when someone you love is going to die within a day. So not being with a loved one their last 24 hours is a common and natural occurence.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: \"And don\'t come back!\", she said to Borgia

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am under the assumption that when you confess a sin [in the Christian religion] and are forgiven, there is a presumption that you will make a mighty attempt to not do it again.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure this is the case, actually. Any experts out there ?

[/ QUOTE ]

re·pent
1 : to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life
2 a : to feel regret or contrition b : to change one's mind

I think it's supposed to be this way... there are a lot of people who don't seem to take this seriously, but I think the Bible indicates this as the way to get forgiveness.

BTW. I really hope people think about giving some money to help people even if they don't have to forsake a dying loved-one to get it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2005, 11:48 PM

What harm is there in believing in a higher power? An individual can believe in a God without it harming anyone. And in fact they can use the teachings of any number of religions to "enrich" their own lives, and those of others. There will be a community of people who will support them in times of need, and they will be able to connect with others (a vital part of life for any social animal) immediately based upon their faith. So only an idiot would want these things? only an idiot would have to give very little to recieve a what they consider to be a great deal?
How does being sure of the nonexistance of god improve your life Mr Sklansky? There are plenty of people who feel that faith improves thier life, and becase of the beauty of faith, if they think that it does then it actually does. Perhaps one day you will realize that while you calling anyone who follows religion an idiot causes many people to lose respect for you, at the very same time when VulturesRow replies in a very polite way simply stating his beliefs, he gains respect.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:57 PM

I'll take the money. I ain't giving much of it away either.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:38 AM

Default And again ?

[ QUOTE ]

re·pent
1 : to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life
2 a : to feel regret or contrition b : to change one's mind

[/ QUOTE ]

But can't you do it again ?

And again?