Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What sushi roll should I try?
Philadelphia roll (avocado cream cheese, fish roe & smoked salmon) 6 17.65%
Crab tempura roll (deep fried crabmeat & cucumber inside) 14 41.18%
Salmon skin roll (broiled salmon & scallions) 5 14.71%
California roll (avocado, crabmeat, cucumber & fish roe) 9 26.47%
Boston roll (avocado, lettuce, mayo & shrimp) 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Re: How many of you people actually have real jobs?

We should have a madison 2+2 game some day.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's not a job. That's just ridiculous.

How can you 8-table live?

Really, if you have to wear pants, its a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

strippers and hookers don't wear pants?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:35 PM

I'll get a real job when Im like 25-30, CEO of a couple companies and 2 huge hotels in Russia under my name baby. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2005, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was gonna say something like this, although maybe with a little less venom.

I just think that a lot of people on this forum -- maybe not as many as they all imagine -- could make a living playing poker. And could probably do pretty well.

But just think about . . . at the end of your life, you don't have all that much to show for it. I am about to enter my first year of law school, with every intention of spending my life "fighting for the little guy," maybe (probably) for less money than I would make playing poker for a living (this is all speculation -- I've not played as many SNGs as some of you folks play in a month, but I'm pretty bright). But I'll have some substance to my life.

Listen, I'm not one of those people who were on the psych forum a few weeks back, talking about how playing poker for a living is evil. And I don't have any particular problem with it. It's a really great time. I just think . . . imagine being 60 years old and sort of reflecting. You won't imagine that you've contributed a great deal.

I guess I just have some delusions at this point of a life where I contribute something important, and I know that I wouldn't do that playing poker. Every once in a while we happen upon a Barry Greenstein, who gives so much of himself to help others through his talent at poker. But for the vast majority of poker players, that is nowhere close to their intentions. And a life where I'm not contributing anything just... isn't the life for me.

On the other hand, I'm thinking poker will make a pretty good part-time job throughout law school. No commute.

[/ QUOTE ]
This entire thread makes me sad because I agree with the above post [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. I'de love to start preparing for a career in which I contribute to something meaningful it the world but I can't find a career path that motivates me anywhere near what poker does. I had a nice buisness internship lined up that I quit because I hated it so much and I can't even begin to find anything other than poker to take its place. I dunno, I'm still young and would love to be an active member in society but its dificult when I'm having a lot of fun making more money than a 19 year old should. I'm jealous of all of the people who have posted that they are in or entering fields that they enjoy despite that they pay less than poker, but I just don't know if everyone can find something that they can enjoy as much as poker even if they aren't greed driven.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:48 PM

I left a full scholarship to the Rochester Institute of Technology because I hate how cold it was there. Which made me hate what I was studying - Software Engineering.

I really want to find something other than poker that makes me really happy, something that I want to share with other people. Just don't know what it is yet.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really want to find something other than poker that makes me really happy, something that I want to share with other people. Just don't know what it is yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think drapes knows the answer (at least for most people), but you might be a little too young for it.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:47 AM

I work 40 hours a week and play poker whenever I feel like it.

I think if I was 20 I'd definitely just sit around and play full time but once you get 30+ you need those "securities" in life known as job benefits, a good retirement plan and knowing $x,xxx is going to hit my bank account every payday.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:05 AM

whats a real job?..Someone remind me please?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How does completing a flight program beat out 50 billion years of college, including 6 years of applied math?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I've completed eight FAA practical tests for a certificate or rating, plus four years of college. I brought up my story to relate to the PhD story, which I thought was implied. "My story is better" is a joke. Y'know:

joke n.

1. Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.
2. A mischievous trick; a prank.
3. An amusing or ludicrous incident or situation.
4. Informal.
1. Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality: The accident was no joke.
2. An object of amusement or laughter; a laughingstock: His loud tie was the joke of the office.

[ QUOTE ]
As for making a billion times more selling cars than flying... "I officially made 100 bucks last week. [censored]."

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have downswings playing poker? Yeah? Well, we don't get customers at the dealership in a constant stream, just as you don't get good cards 100% of the time. Also, I'm brand new and learning the ropes. I won't discuss what I've made this week, but it's certainly more than my counterparts that flight instruct full time make in a week, and it's only Wednesday.

[ QUOTE ]
And 60 hours per week? Haven't you been doing this for like four or five days now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tomorrow is my 10th day there. I worked 58 hours last week, and so far, 26 hours this week (12 hours today in order to deliver an '05 GMC Sierra to a customer).
Old 06-30-2005, 11:59 AM

nuclear power
operator bad at math
goes prompt critical

...and why would you want to teach high school math if you hate it?