Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: I\'m afraid of losing it all...

[ QUOTE ]
If you keep looking at your bankroll as money you can buy things with or spend it elsewhere, you need to not play poker.

You have to be willing to risk every cent in your bankroll to make +EV decisions in order to play winning poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

You donating your winnings or something? Come on, anyone who plays poker, does so for the money. And your idea of risking every cent to make +Ev decisions is ridiculous. That's what a bankroll is for.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You donating your winnings or something? Come on, anyone who plays poker, does so for the money. And your idea of risking every cent to make +Ev decisions is ridiculous. That's what a bankroll is for.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that if you keep looking at your bankroll and say "Man, I could buy X and Y for this if I just cash out..." it leads to bad tilt and playing weak-tight.

As for risking every cent to make +EV decisions, I didn't mean on one hand. Obviously that's what a bankroll is for, but you still have to be able to put that money into play when you have the best of it - even when you've been running bad.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:23 AM

you have almost 4k posts. wow. its amazing to me how people can post so much and still be playing tiny tiny limits. i think of of the best things to do, would be to 4 table the 22 sngs. easy as pie. if you can maintain even a 10% return, which is SUPER doable, you will make around 12-15 per hour. yer variance should be low, i would say the biggest swing youll encounter could be around 500 bucks. and thats a stretch. the 22s are super soft. once you get a roll going, slowly move up in limit. you will be 8 tabling the 215s making 60 bucks an hour in RAKEBACK in no time. holla
Old 06-29-2005, 05:47 PM

What I've considered doing is taking 300 back out and 4-tabling the 11's until I have a roll for the 22's, then moving up again, etc. etc.

Thanks for all advice.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:14 PM

Rule #1 Never play poker with money you cannot afford to lose.

Rule #2 Read Rule #1 again.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:42 PM

Your plan sounds good and that is what you should do. You may have to drop down more if you are losing at 1-2.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:03 PM

that is a really tight roll to be playing poker on if you need that money for living expenses. arent you playing 5/10 with that roll? its really not enough.

its a tough situation to be in and i dont think anyone can give you a magical answer. i really dont know how important that money is for your living expenses, but i think the solution to your problem is to become better at poker. get yourself to a skill level in which youre a $50/hr+ at a small stakes limit, then worry about playing with youre small roll. if youre averaging like $20/hr playing games, its not worth risking your bankroll on. drop down to like .5/1 if you enjoy playing, but focus on improving as a player by continuing to read the forums. once you feel that you should be earning $50/hr+ you can risk your roll.

if you are going to play the risk of ruin game, you might as well do it when your earn potential makes it worth while. if you are in the $50/hr camp now, there is no reason why your roll is only 2k, as you should be able to rake in 2k a week.

if you can take some of the money out of your student loan to play poker with, that is probably a good idea if you are confident in your skills to double that money. you are essentially putting yourself into debt, but if the risk goes sour at least the interest rates are so low that you essentially only lose the money that you lost playing poker, so its really not a big deal.

whatever you do though, dont do credit cards. if you could really beat poker then there is no reason for it.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:26 PM

This has basically been said, but your bankroll does not equal money for college. Additionally, it will EXTRAORDINARILY easy to spend 2K in one year at school. You may drop 1/2 of it on books alone.

I saw someone suggest to withdraw a bunch of the money, and to try and grind out another nice profit with $200-300 as a roll. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Good Luck.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:39 PM

I vote for "Grow some balls" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

You just have to get used to the swings. Maybe take out a few hundred . . . but you have good reason to think you're a winning player, no? I have a hunch that by this time next month you'll be up another $1000 or $2000 and you'll feel like a donk for even asking this question.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:09 PM

Yeah, I probably will

What I ended up doing is cashing out everything albeit $440 (forty buy-ins for the $11 sng's) and took my money over to Stars. Bit of a compromise.