Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 03:33 PM

Default KK under pressure 10/20 live game

Both villians are good players who are regulars in the game. The game is eight handed and a player two to my right has killed the pot, which means he straddles 40 blind and making it 80 to limp in, also he is last to act preflop. It's folded to me and I make it 120 to go with KK. Only the sb and straddler call.

Flop: 2 5 8 (two spades, I have the K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

Sb and straddler check to me, I bet 300, both call.

Turn: 2 5 8 (A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] )

Sb fires out 700, straddler folds. Sb has about 1200 behind and I have him covered. I think for about a minute or so and shove my stack in. What do you guys think? SB loves to push me around and is usually successful. I have a very tight image at the table and am pretty sure both villains put me on an over pair.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Re: KK under pressure 10/20 live game

stacks?
Old 06-16-2005, 03:48 PM

To start out,SB has about 2000, Straddler has about 1200, and I cover.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both villians are good players who are regulars in the game. The game is eight handed and a player two to my right has killed the pot, which means he straddles 40 blind and making it 80 to limp in, also he is last to act preflop. It's folded to me and I make it 120 to go with KK. Only the sb and straddler call.

Flop: 2 5 8 (two spades, I have the K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

Sb and straddler check to me, I bet 300, both call.

Turn: 2 5 8 (A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] )

Sb fires out 700, straddler folds. Sb has about 1200 behind and I have him covered. I think for about a minute or so and shove my stack in. What do you guys think? SB loves to push me around and is usually successful. I have a very tight image at the table and am pretty sure both villains put me on an over pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well to begin with, I don't think your preflop raise was big enough, especially given your table image. If you raising a tough player who straddled and will therefore have position on you preflop pretty much means you have a big pair, then at least let villains make a bigger mistake by calling you preflop. Maybe $175-$200?

I like your flop bet.

On the turn, this is a sticky spot. It's clearly an all-in or fold type situation, and I think this is really a situation where you're gonna have to go with your read. I think villain could be making this bet with a wide range of hands: flopped set, Ax [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A8s, a big draw (there are about a million different drawing hands that have 12+ outs) or complete air. And it sounds like this guy is perfectly capable of putting a play on you here.

His bet size is kinda funny, though; usually, when I see these types of 2/3- to 3/4-stack, committing type bets from medium stacks, it seems to be a bluff/semi-bluff on a scare card. Of course, I've also run into some tricky players who make this sort of bet into me when a scare card hits w/ a TPTK type hand for this exact reason.

Dunno. Given your image at the time, I think I probably push too, but it really is read dependent.

-neon.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:53 AM

he bet into two people. bad spot to go for your whole stack on a hunch. i think you got to see the ace of spades. if he had jacks or something like that you got lucky this time. if you saw a wheel you now realize how bad you played by not betting more on that flop.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:52 AM

i dont play NL but isn't this the type of flop you look to just take down w/ KK/AA/QQ?? pot is 370, so a 450 or so bet should be standard right? betting less than the pot gives your opponent odds if you're attached to your hand and a bad card comes to get your stack.

-Barron
Old 06-20-2005, 03:37 PM

Villian thought for a while, mumbling about three aces, then folded. He said he was on a flush draw. This hand was very read dependent as others have noticed. If the straddler on my right had called his bet I would've layed it down. I just didn't feel like that ace hit him and that he was just trying to get me to fold.