Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Who here has tried out (or gotten) on Jeopardy?

I couldn't get on Jeopardy! in a million years ...

But an editor (Bob Fleenor) at the paper I work for was a 5-day champion (back before they eliminated the 5-day limit) and recently was part of the Ultimate Tournament of Champions (lost in his first-round matchup).

He's not really a genius, he just has a knack for remembering lots of crap.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:40 AM

Yes 18 is too old, 17 is last year you can do it. I tried 2 years straight, heard nothing back from them.

They make the initial process so damned hard, and then a quarter of the contestants just freak in front of the cameras and the lights and do terrible. That's the only explanation I can figure for the guys who do awful on Jeopardy.

I was in academic bowl junior year, but senior year it got in the way of broadcasting the sports show, so i quit.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is 18 too old to be on the teen tourney? God i would kick (or would have kicked) ass on that thing. Haven't seen too much college but I'd love to go on that too.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you wouldn't.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
College Jeopardy isn't all that hard, good luck man.

[/ QUOTE ]

The college edition is a friggin joke. I was pwning that in high school.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
College Jeopardy isn't all that hard, good luck man.

[/ QUOTE ]

The college edition is a friggin joke. I was pwning that in high school.

[/ QUOTE ]me too, but I went to a good HS. Most of you guys on here are morons, and when I say most, I mean Dead.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:52 AM

TSC, you are in a dead end job with no future. I would not talk. And you aren't half as intelligent as you seem to think you are.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:00 AM

Not trying to attack you this time.. just curious, how old are you and where are you from? HS? College? Working? I'm sure you've said all this before, sorry haven't followed the hating dead thing until now
Old 06-03-2005, 01:00 AM

A former champion wrote a book that focuses on things you NEED to know before going on Jeopardy. If I was going to try out for Jeopardy, I'd find it. For example, he lists about 100 things you need to know about opera, or about cooking, or poetry, or all the other catagories that they use over and over, and keep asking the same questions about--the next time they DON'T ask a Wagner question in the opera catagorie, will be the FIRST time.

Obviously, for things like US history, there's a lot more than 100 things you need to know. But he still gives you a solid foundation in questions they like to ask.

Other chapters include a great treatment on "how much should I bet?". So many contestants get on that show, and they're brilliant, but they make dumb bets. I can't remember precisely what he advised, but I do recall that I agreed with it 100% when I read it.

The book is called "How to win on Jeopardy", or "How to get on Jeopardy, and win", or something like that.

(Back when Regis was handing out $32,000-$250,000 to everyone who showed up to play, and we were all dialing that phone number once per day to try to get on, I got my name picked to play the second-round phone game. I was five questions away from a plane ticket to NYC to play. But those five questions turned out to be too tough--much tougher than anything ever asked on the show. I watched the episode that I "would" have been on. I got the first "fastest finger" question a full second faster than the guy on tv did, and if I was presented with the same questions he was--why wouldn't I?--I would've won $250,000. Now THAT'S rabbit hunting.)
Old 06-03-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not trying to attack you this time.. just curious, how old are you and where are you from? HS? College? Working? I'm sure you've said all this before, sorry haven't followed the hating dead thing until now

[/ QUOTE ]

College during fall and spring, and during the summer, working(night shift).
Old 06-03-2005, 01:03 AM

I tried out for Jeopardy! twice, and both times the test was uber-tough. It's 50 questions covering nearly every concievable subject.

I've been on Win Ben Stein's Money, On the Cover, ESPN's Trivial Pursuit and The Inquizition, and they were all cakewalks compared to the Jeopardy tryout.