Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Computer Question (Mac vs. PC)

Hey all,

So my laptop just went on the fritz (won't even turn on) and I think I may just buy a new computer rather than shell out to get it repaired. I really like the Mac Titanium Powerbooks, but I've always owned a PC and I'm not sure if I'll be able to run my poker software on a Mac.

I know there are windows emulators for Macs like Virtual PC, and I was hoping that if anyone has experience trying to play poker on a Mac they could give me some suggestions.

i.e. Do programs like Virtual PC work fine for running poker clients (like party poker)?
Can you run Poker Tracker, PlayerView, etc?
Are there any plans in the work for PartyPoker and those folks to just start putting out a Mac version of their software?

Is there anything else I'm forgetting to ask or should ask? Am I insane to think I can play poker on a Mac?

I think that's about it. Thanks guys.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Computer Question (Mac vs. PC)

i.e. Do programs like Virtual PC work fine for running poker clients (like party poker)?

barely, and it's not smooth.

Can you run Poker Tracker, PlayerView, etc?

Technically you can run any x86 program. In practice however, no.

Are there any plans in the work for PartyPoker and those folks to just start putting out a Mac version of their software?

I doubt it, but I don't know.

Is there anything else I'm forgetting to ask or should ask? Am I insane to think I can play poker on a Mac?

Yes, this is a bad idea fraught with disappointment and compromise.

[b]
Old 05-11-2005, 02:54 AM

Sorry I'm still giggling at Busters post . . . . but he's right for the most part.

There really is no comparison between a PC and a MAC when it comes to running poker site software. But that doesn't mean it cannot be done.

I played exclusively on a 17" Imac for the first year and found that Party ran very well on Virtual PC up to about 3 tables. It slowed down significantly with 4 tables. I never used PT when I had the Mac but I've heard that it definitely brings things down to a crawl. I obviously wouldn't ever go back but if you only play 1 or 2 tables at the most, I probably wouldn't give up all the great things the powerbooks have to offer.

my cents

busguy
Old 05-11-2005, 03:48 AM

i just sold my nearly brand new emac - poker SUCKED on it. virtual pc, although a great program, is ineffective for poker (PT and GT+ slow things down so bad you can't use it). if you're looking to play poker, get a 1600x1200 capable laptop (powerbooks are pretty sweet though).

as far as i know, none of the major sites are planning on providing mac downloadable software.