Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2005, 12:40 AM

Default smallish tournament,last three tables,i make a move

3.5k rebuy on victor chandler,holdem
this is every night,twice a night,and i play it regularly,with a reasonably good record,i've won it a couple of times and made the final table a load of times

i'd probably be seen as a fairly agressive player on the site,but i have quite a good record in mtts and am usually there or thereabouts,and its a smallish site so most people would probably have some idea of the sort of player i am,and know that i'm at least an alright player and also that i can be quite agressive and play some cards that tighter players wouldnt
ive had players i dont recognise (and of course some that i do) say that they regard me as one of the better players on the site,and others that i am one of the worst

anyway,there were 68 runners tonight,and its now down to 20
i have a stack of about 19,000,which puts me in the top 4,although 1-10 are probably all between 20 and 14 or so thousand chips
top nine get payed
you start with 2k chips plus the option of a top up straight away and there's rebuys for the first four levels,but blinds go up every 8 minutes so it gets to near enough to a lottery pretty quickly

at this stage blinds are 600/1200 and theres seven at my table so you have to start playing some hands...

i've been conscious for the last few days of the fact that,despite my agressive image,i havent actually been playing that agressively recently,particularly in this tournament,and even in general my agressive image is usually based on the bigger tournaments-in this one the play is so bad that if you raise the range of hands that will reraise you all in is so large that its difficult to play too agressively,plus you will get payed off for good hands so tight play is often a decent enough strategy...
that said,i feel i need to start playing a bit more agressively,not so passively,and making a few more moves in this tournament (in general,not just tonight)
also although i look to have a healthy enough stack ive had similar stacks before and been blinded away to the point where i have to take a stand from simliar positions before,so its not enough to just sit back..

anyway,i limp UTG with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
folded to the button who has me covered by 1 or 2000
i dont know much about him but ive definitely seen the name a few times and dont have any notes on him so i presume he's probably solid enough but nothing remarkable either way
he makes it 3000 to go
i call,so the pot stands at about 8000
i should say that i plan to bet out a low flop,and this move will often take down a pot,particularly from a button raise...
the flop comes 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
i check,the button bets 3000,i push all in
Old 05-02-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: smallish tournament,last three tables,i make a move

bump
anyone?
Old 05-02-2005, 02:17 PM

i like it.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

how could you know this without knowing stack sizes?
Old 05-02-2005, 04:05 PM

i don't like it, because despite that fact that 9ts is my favorite hand, i'm not going to open limp it UTG.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

anyway,there were 68 runners tonight,and its now down to 20
i have a stack of about 19,000,which puts me in the top 4,although 1-10 are probably all between 20 and 14 or so thousand chips
top nine get payed

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry,i did put the stack sizes in the original post but they weren't with the description of the hand
Old 05-03-2005, 07:01 PM

I'm not sure what the buyin is for this tournament.
If its 3.5K then I'm way out of my league.

If the total prize pool is 3.5K then I offer the following comment:

Villain's PF miniraise of 1 1/2 BB makes me uneasy. He is offering you and the BB 3.5:1 odds to call; a price too sweet to fold anything.

I think he has a few situations to make this play.
1) he has a monster pair and wants to sweeten the pot.
2) he has a midpair and wants to see if you will reraise (information).
3) He has a weak drawing hand like AQ and doesnt want anyone else coming in, but is reluctant to make a real raise.
4) He has identified you as having a speculative hand and wants you to improve.

In all of these situations I don't like check/raising because alot of the time you are going to have the worst of it, and the rest he will be pot committed and have to call. By checking you force him to make this bet because of the flush draw, and as you are unlikely to have paired the T, and very unlikely to be holding a 2 or a 3. when you push, he is pot committed to call with at least the overcards he has a diamond with (I am assuming he has a back door gutshot with an ace), and all big pairs.

I would lead out after the flop and try and win the hand immediately.

My range of hands for villain to miniraise here is:
JJ-AA (24 ways)
AK,AQ no diamonds (24 ways)
AK,AQ 1 or 2 diamonds (12 ways)

After the flop your your a big dog against 24 of them
and ~ 2:1 favorite against the rest of them.

I'm interested in knowing how it turned out.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2005, 02:30 AM

sorry,the tournament is called the 3.5k,which is the guaranteed prize pool
the villain had KK
thanks for the responses so far
Old 05-04-2005, 03:09 AM

this is a pretty crappy blind structure,when you're sitting 4th and only have about 15 bb left,pretty much comes down to luck who's going to win. once you decided to call the raise and flop top pair with a poor kicker,you are in a pretty tough spot,i probably bet out at this flop,i'd be hating my kicker,but expect to be ahead more then half the time here.normally i'd bet pot,but that pretty much pot committs you,so it would be a tough decision,i think i'd have bet about 4k post flop,and probably fold to someone who shows strength here,but maybe not,many villians would push ak here,so a call would have been possible,you were going to need some breaks to win with this structure anyway! really i just don't play t-9 suited at this point of the tourney,it plays much better early on when the blinds are small in a multi pot,at this point of the tourney i'm playing position,face cards,aces and pairs,but mainly position and situations.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:28 AM

I dont like the push because you will only get called by a better hand or a flush draw, and i dont like races...