Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 12:28 PM

Default 25/50 AA UTG-hand

Pokerroom 25/50, 7-handed. pretty loose game with only a couple of regulars. First real hand I get on the table, so no good reads except it seems loose and pretty aggressive preflop from what I can tell from my first round.

I get dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG and limp in as I'm pretty sure it will get raised behind. UTG+1 limp aswell and it's folded to SB who raises. BB drops, and I threebet. Both call an we see a flop of:

9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, I bet, UTG+1 calls and SB now checkraises. I threebet it, SB caps and we both call.

Turn is Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, I check and now UTG+1 bets. We both call. Anyone fold this?

River is 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, I check, and UTG+1 bets. We both call.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: 25/50 AA UTG-hand

I'd dump it on the turn. You're beat in one or both spots. See you at the tables.

Jeff
Old 03-21-2005, 01:20 PM

bet the turn and fold to a raise?
Old 03-21-2005, 01:34 PM

Tough little spot. I hate limping with AA, from anywhere, at any time. In fact, in 15 years of playing limit holdem, I have never once limped with aces.

I cant fold on the turn, I'd have to call and probably muck on the river if you dont hit the miracle J.

It would be a crying shame if UTG+1 has Q10 or JQ and would have mucked preflop to your EP raise, but decided to call two more once he saw two were already in for 3 bets.

TSP
Old 03-21-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hate limping with AA, from anywhere, at any time. In fact, in 15 years of playing limit holdem, I have never once limped with aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should try it before hating it.
[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2005, 03:40 PM

This turn is a very easy fold IMO. You were probably beat on the flop too unless sb had AK.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I thought I was beat, but simply couldn't lay it down on the turn. Too afraid of the pain of seeing the river going check-check and letting someone take it with AK.

Anyway you were all right of course, SB had me beat with KK, and UTG showed QJ for the flopped straight.

Guess I'll think twice about limp-reraising a little while from now on.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:17 AM

Yeah, if you hadn't limp re-raised pf, you would have come in 2nd place, instead of 3rd, much better.

This is silly reasoning. What really happened is your play went perfectly preflop, you got KK and QJ to put in 3 bets each against AA (although KK might have given you more action if you had played it straightforward). Then a pretty bad flop for your hand came, considering you were against a player who had a raising hand from sb, and another who could limp,call 2 more cold. (From most bad players who would call the 3 bet, they either have a small pp, or some kind of QJs, J10s, K10s, etc. that they cant let go). Then the flop play made it obvious you were at best 2nd place and perhaps drawing extremely slim, and the turn play made it obvious you were in 3rd place and definitly drawing slim, but at least had a couple solid outs to the nuts. And you still managed to pay off river. IMHO the limp-reraise was the least of your problems that hand, and did nothing to change the outcome.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:58 AM

Absolutely true. I sometimes have a hard time adjusting from the crazy 10/20 5-handed game I normally play, where it takes a lot for me to fold AA. In full ring, especially with some more competent players, I pay off too much.

It's silly I know, but it just feels better to lose to KK HU, than to lose to a QJ that I let into the hand with my "fancy" play.

I was actually just taking a shot upwards to the 25/50 and stuck 750 after 25 hands, I didn't feel like laying this for 50 bucks on the river.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.