Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Prima 10-20 NL: AA on the button + Meta-Game . . .

Prima 10-20 NL. Six-handed.

Table is full of regulars. Villain is same as in previous hand.

Hero is on the button w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Folded around to villain (~$6,500), who raises to $60 from the CO. Hero (~$4,500) calls, both blinds fold.

Flop is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Villain bets $100, hero calls.

Turn is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Villain bets $300, hero calls.

River is J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Villain bets $600, hero calls.

Okay, so I obviously missed a raise at some point, but I thought that playing AA on the button this way with a table full of regulars at the table might have some meta-game benefits.

Thoughts on this? And if to raise, then when and how much?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Prima 10-20 NL: AA on the button + Meta-Game . . .

I'd reraise preflop, personally.

Post flop is great if you're sure he is going to bet the river, but you might want to raise the turn to protect against the flush draw and find out where you stand.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Prima 10-20 NL. Six-handed.

Table is full of regulars. Villain is same as in previous hand.

Hero is on the button w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Folded around to villain (~$6,500), who raises to $60 from the CO. Hero (~$4,500) calls, both blinds fold.

Flop is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Villain bets $100, hero calls.

Turn is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Villain bets $300, hero calls.

River is J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Villain bets $600, hero calls.

Okay, so I obviously missed a raise at some point, but I thought that playing AA on the button this way with a table full of regulars at the table might have some meta-game benefits.

Thoughts on this? And if to raise, then when and how much?

Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

raise preflop, theres too big a chance you could get lucky and he'd reriase you with QQ or KK, setting up a big hand.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:27 PM

I think you missed a raise on the flop. I don't see him letting go midpair or better on the flop to a raise.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:33 AM

Hi Neon

I think that against a thinking LAG this is a good hand to slow them down as an alternative to c/r flops all day.

I think a raise at any point defeats the meta-game aspect of playing it so passively. If your opponent knows you can play AA on the button this way it will stop them firing at pots with nothing as often. Therefore for the purposes of why you played this way I think the line was fine.
I would suspect that you probably got more out of a king/fl draw etc this way than if you had raised the flop.

One thing though - if Villain turns over a 9 or any hand that wins do you show him the aces?
Old 03-21-2005, 01:08 AM

I think smooth calling AA or KK on the button is fine. Your hand is camouflaged. I remember some very good advice from Bob Ciafonne's book when on the button with Aces or Kings.
1.) Be on the button or have position on the raiser
2.) You are reasonably sure that the blinds will fold and the pot will be heads up.

GET YOUR MONEY ALL IN SOMEWHERE ON THAT BOARD, DUDE! Against a shortstack I usually just put him all in on the flop. Against a bigstack it gets a little tricker and its up to you, how the board reads, and your opponent when and if you are going to put your whole stack in. If you want to win a huge pot(especially in the bigger games) with just one pair sometimes you have to gamble by not reraising preflop [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 03-21-2005, 03:28 AM

So you want to play a $9000 pot with one pair, and you expect to win?
Old 03-21-2005, 03:57 AM

Actually I like this play. Maybe think about raising the river, but i think a call could also be +EV, but that is only if the table has a few of maniacs that like to fire into pots. So....I think this is only +EV in meta game if you play according to this standard later in the game...exploiting an oddly played hand in the begining. But I dont really think you will get paid off with a raise on the river (maybe with AK or KJ) What did he have?
Old 03-21-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you want to play a $9000 pot with one pair, and you expect to win?

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely! He's not getting away from 1010-KK on that board so if you put him all in and he calls then great. If he's lucky enough to spike his set then oh well.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:40 PM

i don't know what meta game has to do with this, maybe he has you beat on the river, i'd be a lot happer if he checked to me and i made the value bet but i like the way you played it