Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 08:11 PM

Default Re: A ridiculously difficult hand Part I

[ QUOTE ]
My instincts at the time(cuz it's really impossible to come up with a real plan for a new situation in 20 seconds) were to check-raise pot the Flop if someone bet big, or check-call the Flop if someone bet small to induce another bet on the Turn and check-raise pot on the Turn. I just felt that the BB would probably make another small bet on the Turn and the amount of chips I could squeeze out on the Turn was > than the % a diamond would come on the Turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why you bet the flop in the first place. The last thing anyone in a low buyin puts you on when you do that is a jack.

BB would have probably raised, and *now* a call behind tells you whether anyone has a draw/J and you can take their chips on the turn.

Reference for a similar hand: The hand I posted a week ago. Note that I'd have played it identically with a J/decent kicker, up until the button minraised (I'd push).
Old 03-14-2005, 11:50 PM

I doubt that BB would have reraised my flop bet. You didn't specify a pot bet or a small bet, I assume it's something in between. But Loose Passive players at low buy-in levels, which all these players probably were, don't reraise, even if they've got an overpair, cuz they're afraid of the two Jacks. They'll probably call me down, and that doesn't really give me much information on all streets. I also have a lesser chance of thinning the field if I don't check-raise at some point. So it comes down to check-raising pot on the Flop or the Turn. Sure 20% of the time I'll see a third diamond, but the pot size will increase more than 20% by waiting until the Turn to check-raise and that's why I made that play.

The main rationale in hindsight is basically to take advantage of the Loose Passiveness of the table and let them juice up the pot for me, and then take it down or double up, instead of scaring them away on the Flop.

If the BB had bet the minimum though, I'd probably have to pot it on the Flop because the chances of a diamond on the Turn is greater than the increase of the pot in that case.

Another way of looking at it is no matter how I bet, I'm probably going to get called by overpairs and flush draws on the flop. But by not showing aggression until the Turn I squeezed out more than 20% chips from the pot, which is +EV considering the chance of a diamond on the Turn.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:57 AM

I don't like the pf call, but whatever.

On the flop, CR that. If they fold out, oh well. Part of the luck in poker is getting up against a second-best hand that will pay you off. Don't give the free/cheap draws against two opponents unless you have a nice read on them or the nuts.