Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Hand from tonights Trop $150 No limit tourney..

If I call here, I will have a very tough time playing the rest of the hand. I need to raise or fold. A large percentage of the time a hand like 88 will fold to an all in but call the buttons raise. If I can knock out a player who I know will fold a hand like 88, I must knock him out of the equation.

I never considered calling.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:30 AM

Good thought process.

I almost folded. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Thoughts results....

Mike, I am a long time lurker and I enjoy your posts. This one was very informative. Many of you seem to have very thorough thought processes at the table. I don't always take the time to analyze situations to the extent that I should. Just wanted to come out of the woodwork and say thanks. I am trying to take my play to the next level, need all the info I can gather.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you pushed and the button folded? And he showed his tens as an indication of what a fantastic fold he'd just made to a four bet all in?

Pretty much.

That's great, but I think you got one of maybe two hands that fold, as opposed to the four other ones that call this and probably bust you.

He would not have tangled with the only stack that could hurt him without at least AA or KK. Since I had an A and a K, I did not put him on either of those hands. Even if he calls with JJ or 10 10 , I am only a coin flip behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think not putting him on one of those *automatically* is a mistake. I've busted out of two of my last five tournaments that way (both low buyins, fortunately, but that's beside the point.) Yeah, there's less ways for him to have either, but it happens.

More to the point, if I am reading this correctly you made a huge misread on the button. "He wouldn't have tangled with [you] without AA-KK?" You went all in ahead of him, he got two callers *and folded TT face up to congratulate himself on the spectacular laydown*. Tens. Hell, they weren't even suited.

MAYBE he folds JJ here, although my thought process when I said 'two that fold, four that call' was more like 'he folds TT and *possibly* AK, if it's not soooooted'. But given the way you just described this fold, he lays down QQ here roughly 0% of the time.

Moreover, I'd never expect a player in a tournament like this to fold *any* of these, especially if the other two guys managed to throw away their QJo's. I've seen some (not too many but some) similar laydowns made online in a 215 MTT or 535/1065 SNG...but in a live 150? Isn't that equivalent to maybe a 50 dollar Party multi? Even if it's the rarefied heights of a 100 buck FT tourney you still won't find anybody who folds jacks or better in the whole field.