Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 07:33 PM

Default AQ Stupidity.

My perception of Villan is as calling station who would likes to call you down then make a large bet at you if the board gets scary. I've had him call me down with middle pair several times this game. I think my checkraise on the turn was just plain ugly. I had perceived villan as making large bets when the board got scary. The board got scary, I show weakness by checking, then he bets $10 into a $75 pot. Bells and whistles should have been going off in my head . How do you think I played it? What would you have done differently, and why?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Hero ($100)
CO ($140.42)
Button ($367.51)
SB ($305.75)
BB ($100)
UTG ($82.2)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, CO calls $8, Button calls $8, SB (poster) folds, BB folds, UTG calls $6.

Flop: ($35) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, CO calls $20, Button folds, UTG folds.

Turn: ($75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $10</font>, CO calls $62.

River: ($147) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $147

thanks

silly
Old 01-20-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Re: AQ Stupidity.

Im betting the pot on the flop.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:49 PM

I think I would bet the pot on the flop and then push the turn. I think it is much more likely for him to be on a draw than to have a set and your stack is not really deep enough to get away if he does have you beat, I don't think.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:56 PM

If I was playing I would have bet $30 on the flop and pushed on the turn, so I guess I would have lost my buy in too.

Despite your read of him betting into scary boards, don't you think he could play KQ or QJ or even Q9 the same way while trying to suck a little more out of your KK or AA? I don't like the turn check because this type of opponent will call large turn bets with all kinds of worse made hands as well as any flush or open ender draw. Even though your read is for him to bet scary boards, I don't feel like this is the hand to try to take advantage of that on.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:53 PM

I agree that I should have probally bet the flop harder and pushed on the turn. But given my read on this player does anyone else think the way I played it made it obvious I was probally beat before I made the all in raise?

silly
Old 01-20-2005, 11:15 PM

Your hand is so strong that it is hard to get away from. However, you gave him a free river. If he were on a draw, he would take it. The Q should have been a likely scare card, so since that was his style, he should have bet more. The $10 does seem to say "I don't have a draw, and I have whatever you have beat so I want to milk you here." I agree with you on that, yes. Would I fold? No. If stacks were deeper, I would probably call and then make a blocking bet on the river. Since you aren't that deep here, however, I don't really think there is that much maneuvering room.