Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Where did I go wrong?

on the flop, turn, and river.

preflop, meh.

flop... good GOD you MUST complete this c/r. This is a relatively uncoordinated board (remember, EVERYONE ELSE just called two cold... with 89? really?)... and you would LOVE for people to be in there chasing gutshots and overcards... not only are they unlikely to hit, but with overcards, they may think they have you beat. even better, you might get 3-bet on this flop! RAISE THE FRICKIN' FLOP.

turn... who KNOWS how this plays out. i think most of the time you bet this... but i can see another c/r. when the button pulls off a c/r... i'm raising again. two pair coulda been picked up, a flush draw and a pair may now be on board. the chances that you are behind are extraordinarily slim. best if you think of set over set as being impossible. and when it DOES happen to you, remember that it's impossible and continue on.

the river is completely unguessable but by this point KQ is scared off, you can't do anything about a runner runner flush, but even MORE people will be inclined to call with that J hitting that you should again almost certainly be betting this.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:08 AM

You misplayed every street.

It was folded to you in MP, you had a mid PP, you flopped a set, you saw a showdown and YOUR NAME WAS NEVER IN RED!!!!
Old 01-15-2005, 04:36 AM

Check-raise the flop. Cap flop and turn if given a chance.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:19 AM

Well at the time I was shooting myself for being way too passive and not raising the flop. Once the turn was raised I figured a 3 bet would be way too obvious and give away my hand so I let villian 3bet.

The river I was pretty sure I was beat and sure enough villian shows 1010 for the flopped top set. I was beat from the flop so I saved myself a few bets even though most of the time I am behind. Still lost a lot of BBs on the hand but in retrospect I think calling was the right move villian was autobetting and autoraising everything which usually means a better hand than middle set.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Once the turn was raised I figured a 3 bet would be way too obvious and give away my hand so I let villian 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was beat from the flop so I saved myself a few bets

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
villian was autobetting and autoraising everything which usually means a better hand than middle set

[/ QUOTE ]
You have a very serious misunderstanding of some fundamental aspects of poker. I forget what limit this hand was from but I'd really suggest stepping down until you learn to be a lot more aggressive.

You don't need to respond and tell me you're a winning player or a pro or a world champion that recently left the kiddie pool to start making moves. If you don't want to listen to me that's fine. Just something to think about.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:37 AM

You already know where you went wrong. You underplayed a huge hand where you were getting tons of action. So just fix that.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:39 AM

The thing is if you're playing sets this badly then you're playing over pairs and top pairs and even more marginal hands just terribly. If you just played sets this bad you'd be able to get away with it. But no one plays sets like this and plays other hands well.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:22 AM

The bettor and the raiser are wedded to the pot on the turn, so you can safely raise.

And you have a severe case of Monsters-Under-The-Bed-itis.