Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Strange step 5 hand with Gigabet

Interesting that Imcastleman thought this was a misclick. Can you confirm it with your brother (I believe he's stopped posting)

My point was not that he had Ax, but that Gigabet put him on that hand given the massive overbet. He was only slightly wrong; 22 vs Ace high.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:46 AM

Am I missing something? When did gigabet put him on Ax?

citanul
Old 01-08-2005, 01:42 AM

What? So all of a sudden the play becomes wrong just cause it was a misclick and becomes right if it wasn't??? Try evaluating the play based on things like pot odds etc., and not base it on things like whether your poker hero likes the play.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:32 PM

Sorry I took so long to reply to this, just enjoying the sun, while my friends and family shovel through 3 feet of snow.

There was no mis-click here, and I would make this call everytime. I had Slon on a dead read(hint: Slon is not the only name he goes by, so I have much more info than just the previous 3 tourneys we played, that day).

Someone mentioned that I made this call without regards to pot odds, I made this call based on implied pot odds, and I wanted Slons stack before someone else got it.

Slon does NOT make it past level 2 without 3k in chips. Just doesn't happen. I knew what he had before I made the call, and I knew that all my chips would be in on the flop if I caught a pair. For those who watch me play know that I think quite a bit when I make a decision for my stack. I think I spent all of 3 seconds calling his bet. I knew what he had, I knew he was going to make this bet, and I knew that around 33% of the time I would be calling his bet.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:00 PM

Boo-yah! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

This has got to be on the $. Gigabet would never make this play 'standard' unless he had a read or previous knowledge about his opponent. Against certain opponents (if you're reading and postflop skills are high caliber) you can call with any two (sort of what Giga did) and it is +EV.
Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Take that Gigabet's brother! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

(If this were a Sklansky test I would be in the running for some dorko top ten list such as "top ten inferior players who nonetheless think they know enough to comment on superior players' hands.") [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Yugoslav
Old 01-12-2005, 01:07 AM

Ok, so he has a note on slon_T that says he will get all his chips in on the flop if it gets heads up?? And so Gig is willing to take a risk that if he hits a 5 or a 6, that he will have enough of an edge, that it's worth the chance to double up. Good for him. I think it's a bad call and not worth the risk. But, what do I know, I don't buy into these things all day.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:49 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

FWIW I'm *positive* you're a stronger poker player than I, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 01-12-2005, 08:20 AM

Thanks a big bunch for answering and clearing this up! It was interesting reading the different opinions everyone had about this.

I still have a hard time understanding when you say that you had a "dead read" on the opponent. Surely he would still make the same raise pre-flop if he held 55-AA? (maybe not with AA, KK) I guess that you are saying that he would raise with a VERY wide range of hands and that he will not hold a pair that many times. So, if a 5 or a 6 and no ace hit the flop, you would be ahead most of the time and would most likely get his entire stack. Still seems very risky, but I guess you know what you're doing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Don't you even consider this to be a marginal call?

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry I took so long to reply to this, just enjoying the sun, while my friends and family shovel through 3 feet of snow.

There was no mis-click here, and I would make this call everytime. I had Slon on a dead read(hint: Slon is not the only name he goes by, so I have much more info than just the previous 3 tourneys we played, that day).

Someone mentioned that I made this call without regards to pot odds, I made this call based on implied pot odds, and I wanted Slons stack before someone else got it.

Slon does NOT make it past level 2 without 3k in chips. Just doesn't happen. I knew what he had before I made the call, and I knew that all my chips would be in on the flop if I caught a pair. For those who watch me play know that I think quite a bit when I make a decision for my stack. I think I spent all of 3 seconds calling his bet. I knew what he had, I knew he was going to make this bet, and I knew that around 33% of the time I would be calling his bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-13-2005, 11:42 PM

I took some abuse for my posts and feel (partially) vindicated! Thank you.

[ QUOTE ]
In the long run, with players so knowledgeable of each other's play, surely this type of play is essential.

There's no way this was a misclick. If you think you are up against Ax (which is what I think he thought it was) then calling here can be EV+, simply because players cannot get away from decent preflop hands.

The massive all in overbet says (to me) "I have Ax and I missed the flop". He made a perfect appraisal of the situation and got sucked out on the river - they'd have heard me scream "MF" in Hawaii.

[/ QUOTE ]