Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2004, 12:10 AM

Default Starting hands for 8/b

I'm a good hold'em player, but a beginner with 8/b stud. Online i've been playing starting hands as follows:

any pair unless it's brothers are shown

3 suitedn (eg. A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

3 seven and lower

and of then the obvious sets...

I don't play 3 to a straight and I don't play 3 to a flush if a bunch of that suit show...

Is this basically it or am I missing some or playing to many...
Old 12-28-2004, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Starting hands for 8/b

Get Ray Zee's book. See other recent threads on this very topic. Many pairs are unplayable. A lot of three-card flushes are less-than-playable, although the hand you cite is pretty good. 876 is frequently playable. A82 is sometimes playable. And get Ray Zee's book.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:12 AM

Indeed, get Ray Zee's book. It has the nice property, at least in my experience, of paying off relatively quickly; at LHE it took quite a bit of experience to get the right concepts to trigger (and, of course, I'm a long way from expert now), but I sat down, read Ray Zee's book three or four times, and experienced immediate success in low-limit stud-8 games (up to 3-6 and a little 5-10). Of course, I'm no Andy B; I'm just saying you can quickly develop a good grounding for the game and have a very healthy edge in the low-limit games.

Enjoy!
Old 12-28-2004, 10:24 AM

Did anyone mention that Ray Zee has a great book on the game?
Old 12-28-2004, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a good hold'em player, but a beginner with 8/b stud. Online i've been playing starting hands as follows:

3 suitedn (eg. A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

3 seven and lower

and of then the obvious sets...

I don't play 3 to a straight and I don't play 3 to a flush if a bunch of that suit show...

Is this basically it or am I missing some or playing to many...

[/ QUOTE ]

first off, get zee's book. Next, only play 3-flushes for a full bet if you have 3 cards to a 7-low or a high straight.

Also, you shouldn't be playing any 7-low especially if it is raised in front of you
Old 12-29-2004, 10:57 AM

I'm an action junkie, but I'll play A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for a full bet about every time if my spades are live.

To play a three-card Seven for a full bet, I'd generally need either an Ace or a straight possibility, and even there it isn't automatic.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:46 PM

I'll definitely play A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for a full bet if spades are live, would probably play A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] if spades are live (but have to hit 4th and 5th really well to continue) and wouldn't even think about playing K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Old 12-30-2004, 09:49 PM

I would also recommend three to a straight low cards. It's great to freeroll on 6th & 7th st after making the low instead of the straight.
I would be carefull with all the low pairs, its easy to get trapped.
I would not play the high or medium straights
3 low cards to a straight below 8 I would be weary, there should be an Ace or at least 2 flush cards. This is a trap hand.
Of great importance is the betting sequence wheter u are pushing or pulling.
Apart from Zees book dont forget to be a good stud player 1st. I would advise you to get to learn stud 1st Stud Hilo is more complex

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2004, 10:13 PM

I've just started trying to learn stud. Ive been studying Slansky's always/usually/and borderline playable hands from Super System. I'm pretty sure that the variation he was writing about wasnt 8/b, but i think that his suggestions hold fairly well.

If i remember them right...

Always playable hands
preferred
Heads up- A baby 7, AA baby, AA6, AA7, AA8,

Multi Way-3 unpaired babies, 3 card sixes (w/straights possible)

Either way- 3 card 6s (with an ace), 3 card 7s (with good straight and flush possibilities), 3 card 8s (suited), trip A's 7s and 8s

Usually playable
HU- AA9, AAT, 99baby, 88baby, 77baby, 66 baby, other 3 card 8s, 789
multi way- all other trips
either way- 3 card nines (suited), 3 card T (suited), other 3 card 7s

Borderline
HU- 22baby, 33baby, 44baby, 55baby, 99baby, TTbaby, 3 card eights, 3 card (straight) nines, face (not ace) baby-baby (suited)

hope this helps, and please correct me if im wrong.
thanks
-light
Old 12-30-2004, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would advise against playing most starting hands with a pair in them. Low pairs with a baby kicker are a losing hand in stud 8b in most circumstances. I probably would not play any pair below jacks as well. Also, I would probably play most hands with an ace and two cards 8 or below. In good position on third street you should also call the bringin with low cards with no straight/flush possibility because if you catch another low card, it can give you a good opportunity to take the pot and also have a decent drawing hand. Premium hands include AA baby, three baby straights with no gaps, and three suited babies.