Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2004, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Why can\'t we write?

[ QUOTE ]
i didnt know nolan had the best opponents against average in ML history. that dude rocked

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, he's overrated. Just listed to everyone on this forum. OK, not everyone, but some. Yeah, he walked a lot of guys, blah, blah blah. Read his autobiographies...hitters were petrified to face him. Norm Cash once walked into the batter's box with a table leg he had taken from the clubhouse. Classic.

I don't know where he ranks without looking it up, but I think he's pretty low on the HR/9 rankings.

Have I hijacked this thread enough now?
Old 10-27-2004, 01:14 AM

i wouldnt say overrated, just not your classic HOF pitcher maybe? i wasnt around for much of his career, but from his stats it seems walks and poor teams victimized him
Old 10-27-2004, 01:14 AM

Yeah, only six points better than Pedro "I can be anybody's daddy any day of the week" Martinez. Not bad, Petey.

I type fast and spell correctly and write well, and I wish other people would too. I thought for a while that it never did me any good, until my supervisor started remarking on how thorough my reports are and how quickly I give him well-written stuff.

I don't take spelling and grammar as a perfect indicator of intelligence, but I do tend to look twice at someone's thoughts if they write competently and find it harder to write them off completely.

Unfortunately, good writing is a dying art in this country and it shows.

NT
Old 10-27-2004, 01:26 AM

Yeah, only six points better than Pedro "I can be anybody's daddy any day of the week" Martinez. Not bad, Petey.

that interview after the game was great and reminded me why i want petey here till he retires.

I type fast and spell correctly and write well, and I wish other people would too. I thought for a while that it never did me any good, until my supervisor started remarking on how thorough my reports are and how quickly I give him well-written stuff.

the word supervisor makes me want vomit. i hate working for da man [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

i think somebodys use of the english language (usually an idication that he/she is well read) is more important than thier typing/spelling skills.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:40 AM

I don't care - it lets me know who I'm dealing with.

Anyone who misspells a word in the damn subject of a post would fail an IQ test.

~D
Old 10-27-2004, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone explain to me what is going on? Are we in trouble?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean, " Our we in trouble?"
Old 10-27-2004, 02:18 AM

I don't think the Internet has anything to do with society's inability to write. The Internet is just exposing the semi-literacy that people always had, but never showed the world before.

The rise of the telephone and automobile, and the accompanying death of the letter, probably had a lot more to do with it.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the Internet has anything to do with society's inability to write. The Internet is just exposing the semi-literacy that people always had, but never showed the world before.

The rise of the telephone and automobile, and the accompanying death of the letter, probably had a lot more to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points. I hadn't thought about it that way, but you're probably right. It certainly can't be helping though.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:33 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I don't care - it lets me know who I'm dealing with.

Anyone who misspells a word in the damn subject of a post would fail an IQ test.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean like the salt cracka's post about "deoderant"?
Old 10-27-2004, 03:38 AM

As prolly one of the worst offenders when it comes to this matter I figured I would chime in.

The biggest reason is that I type in an unconventional style (think 2 finger "hunt and peck" but at 40wpm) and as such generate alot of typos that I simply dont bother to fix. As long as what I typed out can convey my meaning, I honestly dont care if I typed every word correctly.

I've got some mild dyslexia working for me, so [censored] always gets jumbled in my head when it comes to spelling, and I just plain suck at it. I think its an idiotic notion that just because someone can't spell means they "would fail an IQ test". I know I'm not the smartest person on these boards, but there isnt one person here who I could enter into a convorsation with about anything and have them make me feel stupid.

I just don't care. I know the differance between "your" and "you're" and "to" and "too" and "lose" and "loose". And guess what? So does everyone else. So when my typing is trying to keep up with what I'm thinking in my head and a "your" comes out instead of a "you're" cuz its a hell of alot quicker to type, I dont waste my time going back to fix it because everyone knows what I mean, and the meaning is all I care about trying to get across