Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 01:34 PM

Default Pocket Kings vs the dreaded overcard

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (10 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+2 ($39.00)
MP1 ($23.95)
MP2 ($50.32)
MP3 ($12.75)
CO ($22.70)
Button ($31.60)
SB ($29.63)
Hero ($24.75)
UTG ($9.60)
UTG+1 ($24.45)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG calls $0.25, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.25, CO folds, Button calls $0.25, SB (poster) completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, UTG folds, MP3 folds, Button calls $1.40, SB folds.

Flop: ($4.05) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $1.9</font>, Button calls $1.90.

Turn: ($7.85) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets $4.5</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $12.35

This happens alot. An ace flops and I'm out of position. What's the best play on the flop?
Old 10-13-2004, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Pocket Kings vs the dreaded overcard

I like the bet out.

but if this is a player who'll call down with any ace, then you probably played correctly on the turn with the check fold.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This happens alot. An ace flops and I'm out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to hell, kid. (to be read with a gravelly voice)

This is very player-dependent. Against a weak-loose player, who calls any ace preflop and only shows aggression with a real hand, check-fold. Against an over-aggressive player who always smells blood in the water and is unable to check when checked to, bet out the flop, then check-call the turn and river. (Fold if raised on the flop.) Against an unknown player, bet out, then check-fold. I hope they have seen you bet out on the flop and then check-raise the turn, so they will fear this pattern, and you might get a check-behind from a weak ace.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:45 PM

It happens around 15% of the time. A little under 1/10 of the time you will also flop a king (ding ding ding). If you are going to bet out, bet out the pot or just check fold.

I always bet the pot on the flop unless I suspect monsterdom or have monsterdom myself, and often I bet the pot in the latter case anyway.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:32 PM

I've run into this situation many, many times. I assume every serious poker player has...

Since you're HU, you're in a better situation. However, you're out of position. I like the way you followed the PF aggression with a bet on the flop. However, with a $4 pot, I'd bet at least 3/4 of the pot, or $3. The reason being is that you gain way more information on where your hand stands in relation to your opponent. Betting half the pot gives your opponent all the reason to call w/ any possible hand such as Ace rag, flush draw, 33, etc. Granted, he PROBABLY has you beat right here once he calls the flop and the turn hits, however, even if you put him on an ace, which probably is AQ at best, given the PF action, I'd try to drive his weak ace out on the flop with a bigger bet, even a pot size one, given the fact that he didn't raise with an ace, if he had one, before the flop and just called your raise instead.