Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2004, 12:00 AM

Default Doom Themed Poker Chips

I have created a very rough draft of the chips Im designing based on the Doom video game. For those who havent read my previous posts on the topic. The Idea of these chips is to have different monsters from the game the weaker monsters will be on the low value chips while the stronger monsters will be on the higher value chips. I am open to group buys if there is any interest in this at all, otherwise Ill be getting these made for myself either way. Right now tho I am at the phase where I need advice/comments. I dont like the text on it "Doomed Poker Club" and I am actually against denominations. My problem is the chips look too empty without the text, so If i remove what is there then what do i put in its place? Ive been thinking for 2 weeks for what to do with the text and have been drawing blanks. The doom sprites are low resolution and look "pixely" when working with these chips in photoshop, but after they get printed at actual size the pixelation effect will be reduced. (ive done some prints to size)

Right now everything is up in the air for revision except the theme and the monsters. The breakdown on monsters/colors will be as follows (in order of value low to high)

White: Shotgun Sargent

Red: Imp

Blue: Demon

Green: Baron from Hell

Black: CyberDemon

Here is a small render of the actual chip.
(click thumbnail to view actual size)

Here is a render at the original resolution im working with (click thumbnail to view actual size)
Old 10-09-2004, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Doom Themed Poker Chips

They look cool, but you should definitely check into the legality of it before you go any further.

I am under the impression that any kind of copywritten material can not be used, and I am pretty sure all that is the property of ID Software.

I think its a really cool idea, as I am an old school gamer and grew up on Wolfenstein and Doom =) But you may want to check into the legal side of using that stuff before you put all this effort in.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:17 AM

id has no contact info on their site, I DID send an email to John Romero website who no longer works for id but worked on the original Doom. I stated my intentions and what I was doing with these chips. In the past id has seemed pretty cool with letting fans use Doom resources for other projects, not to mention Doom itself is now open source. I am not doing this to make money, rather I am a hardcore gamer who still plays Doom to this day, It is my all time favorite game, I collect anything Doom related I can get my hands on. As of yet I havent heard back from Mr. Romero, but hopefully I will.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:20 AM

You're on track I think. I'd make sure that the MOB is a little bigger on the chip though.

Ten
Old 10-09-2004, 12:52 AM

Oh I understand you arent trying to make money, I was just making sure the legal aspect was covered is all. I would hate to see you go through all this work only to be shut down by the chip manufacturer over a legal issue.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Right now everything is up in the air for revision except the theme and the monsters. The breakdown on monsters/colors will be as follows (in order of value low to high)

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say it'd be neat to have one of the round monsters (Cacodemon?) on the chips, because, being round and all, they would fit nicely... But then I read that, so forget I ever said anything.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:17 AM

If i do a 6th color then It would probably be caco. rank wise he would go between Demon and Baron from hell. I guess I shouldent rule anything out and I do like the Caco, it would have to be a 6th chip tho, I think the 5 monsters I picked are the most identifyable with Classic Doom. If i did a 6th chip, cyber demon would move up to purple, Baron would go to black and caco would go to green, the rest would stay the same.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Doom Themed Poker Chips 2nd Revision

here is a 2nd revision, I took away the text and added the Doom logo, brightened up the background, and increased the size of the monster. Suggestions/Comments?

and here is a differnt denomination.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:29 PM

Does the pixelation not bother you? I think the chip looks great, but you're limited by the original resolution of the mobs.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the pixelation not bother you? I think the chip looks great, but you're limited by the original resolution of the mobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damageinc333, what if you could find some full rez images of the MOBs somewhere? I'd bet there are plenty out there. That would do Doom more justice on your chips I think. It wouldn't be desecration of the game.

Ten

[edit] p.s. ID even used "non in-game" graphics on the box and in other promotions...

http://doomworld.com/pageofdoom/images.html

And something like... (beware, large image)