Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2004, 07:12 PM

Default AKs in EP facing a raise from a way tight player...

I had this hand this afternoon... and suddenly I had no idea how to approach it.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($85.30)
Hero ($34.75)
MP1 ($50.40)
MP2 ($33.70)
MP3 ($36.95)
CO ($14.60)
Button ($18.25)
SB ($16.80)
BB ($13.50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I ready to raise to $2.50 when UTG takes longer to respond the usual. I think, oh sh!t UTG is gonna raise. The time starts counting down... maybe just disconnected... nope...

<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $4</font>, Hero ???

[/i]I can't remember the last time UTG entered a hand but I do seem to remember I had something I was gonna limp with until she raised. This player hasn't played but a couple hands and hasn't showndown a hand since I sat down (about 4 orbits). UTG surely has a big hand and I wish I had a piece of cheese so I have an easy decision.

What do I do here?[/i]
Old 07-03-2004, 07:35 PM

Default Re: AKs in EP facing a raise from a way tight player...

I feel this is an easy fold. It's likely that UTG has less than AA/KK, in which case you can justify a call (after all, you're even money against QQ and AK). But, if you don't hit the flop, you've got to fold, never knowing if you're folding to another AK. And when you hit TPTK, you're not likely to be paid off by this tight player. You're only hope is to use you're flush outs, but it's not enough to compensate for the money you lose when you do hit TPTK but find you're against a better hand. If there's a caller in between, its a different story. You could consider a push in that case, depending on the caller.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:12 AM

The play is probably call to see the flop and get out of you dont hit. But as tight as you make this player out to be, and them making it 8 times the BB from UTG you probably could fold this hand and just act like you never got AKs. No reason to risk you hitting a King here and losing all your money to AA or KK
Old 07-05-2004, 03:06 PM

Easy call. You have a premium hand. Play some poker.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:23 PM

I called and folded to a $8 bet on the flop.

40 hands with this player... aside from the BB she played 4 hands, raising twice.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($85.30)
Hero ($34.75)
MP1 ($50.40)
MP2 ($33.70)
MP3 ($36.95)
CO ($14.60)
Button ($18.25)
SB ($16.80)
BB ($13.50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $4</font>, Hero calls $4, <font color="666666">7 folds</font>,

Flop: ($8.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets $8</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $16.75
<font color="green">Main Pot: $8.75, won by UTG.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $8, returned to UTG.</font>

Results below:
No showdown. UTG wins $16.75.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:32 AM

If you're going to play scared, then you should definitely fold pre-flop. Hell, you only have AKs.
This opponent has played 4 hands in 36 deals, so she's probably not playing junk. But that doesn't mean she has AA or KK every time. Don't you think she'd play QQ, JJ, TT, AK, probably AQ and KQ? You haven't see her show down once, so you don't know much about her.

I think the preflop call is fine, since it's likely everyone behind you will fold to the large bet. You also could reraise to buy the button and try to define her hand.

On the flop, you still know nothing about her hand.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:36 AM

One of the classic situations to avoid in NL is putting your stack on the line preflop when you are a small favorite or big dog. If you decide to raise to isolate, you are most likely even worse off then that if you get called/reraised. Couple that with the fact that you have commited your short stack with that raise and you've left yourself in an unenviable position.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:55 AM

Why are you so quick to put her on aces?
In the limited sample of hands, she has played 12% of her hands. What makes you think she has Hero dominated? Maybe hero's a big favorite here. She might have AQ or KQ for all we know. If she's such a great player, why such a big raise with AA?

If you're certain she has AA or KK because she raises UTG, then by all means fold your AKs. And get out of this game. This woman is unbeatable. She always has the nuts.
Fold. Fold. Fold.
She's the queen of Party $0.25/$0.50 NLHE.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:26 PM

I think you still have an easy decision. Fold.

-Michael
Old 07-05-2004, 05:20 PM

Go with your read. If your read is right, you're either a coin flip or waaay behind. If you feel that this player is a pretty good player, then one of two things happens:

1. A/K does NOT flop, they bet out and you have to fold,
2. A/K flops (you still don't quite know if you're ahead or not), and if they have something like QQ, you're not getting very much from them, if on the other hand they had AA/KK you might lose your stack.