Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2004, 07:55 PM

Default troubling hand

First post here... playing 10/20 short... I got QQ and am UTG, I raise, everybody folds but small blind who limps in. Flop comes 9s, 3h, 6c. I bet, he raises, etc until I cap. Turn is 2c. Capped again. Now I'm thinking he has a bigger pocket pair or 2 small pair. This guy has been a maniac all day and I'm thinking he has no better than a 96 probably only a 9. River comes a Q giving me a set. We cap again. Turns out he had 45o and made a straight. How else would I play this hand or was this just a bad beat?
Old 06-20-2004, 08:00 PM

Default Re: troubling hand

Just a bad beat. On the turn I'd give him a little credit for being ahead with 2 pr and flat call the raise, but you're going off on the river regardless.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:21 PM

You're a complete animal for capping/3-betting the turn.

Most people aren't 3-betting the turn without having one pair beaten.

Next time consider laying down your QQ on the turn to the 3-bet on the turn. The turn being a two should have indicated to you that a straight was possible since it completed an open ender.

The river makes it hard for you not to raise, but I would not cap it here either. The only "bad beat" here is the guys preflop call with 4-5o. He seemed to have played it right from that point on although 3-betting you on the flop is questionable, but you were heads up!

Next time I would just slow down and not be so cap-happy.

Still, very hard to get away from this one.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:31 PM

Preflop - Perfect
Flop - Perfect
Turn - When he bets just call
River - I would cap it.

I didn't notice if you said this was on party or not, but it seems like a typical suckout on 10/20 on party. They happen, you really can't play it much differently...
Old 06-20-2004, 11:37 PM

I see no reason to raise on the turn if you are going to fold to a 3-bet???? In addition, on river most of the time you would have been up against a set or 2pair if he has 45 good for him, but vast majority that will not be the case.... When you have top set 1 on 1 and the only way you can lose is connectors that are below 7 i'll cap the turn and river every time....