Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2004, 07:57 PM

Default Did I over play this KQs hand?

Mid position I open raise with KQs.
Button and BB call.
Flop:Kc 6s 2h
Check, I bet, call, call.
Turn:8s
I have top pair and second best flush draw.
Check, I bet, call, BB folds.

River:Th
The button was a very loose weak player who was taking pocket pairs to the river no matter. When the T hit my mind went to him holding TT.
Whats your play?

Results in white:
<font color="white"> I checked and called. Button had K6 off suit for 2 pair. I mucked face down. </font>

Would you have played this hand differently?
Old 06-15-2004, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Did I over play this KQs hand?

I dont really see any reason not to bet unless he's one of those players that will almost always bet the river when checked to and folds a lot to river bets. I wouldn't be scared of TT just because it came on the river. Looks like you have a value bet against a standard loose opponent unless he's the type of player I described above, and there isnt really any draws on the flop, so I think its a clear value bet.

Ponks
Old 06-15-2004, 08:44 PM

You underplayed it. I would value bet this on the river every single time (and call a raise).
Old 06-15-2004, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You underplayed it. I would value bet this on the river every single time (and call a raise).

[/ QUOTE ]

My poker tracker stats show I am losing 60% of the hands I take to the river with top pair. The only hands that will call a bet are better than top pair. I am not seeing / getting any value betting with one pair. There are too many hands I lose to. Am I wrong?
Old 06-15-2004, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My poker tracker stats show I am losing 60% of the hands I take to the river with top pair. The only hands that will call a bet are better than top pair. I am not seeing / getting any value betting with one pair. There are too many hands I lose to. Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it really the case that in your game, people don't call unless they can beat top pair, you need to find a different game. Either that or bluff at the river with any hand. However, I find this case to be highly unlikely.

I just checked my database, and I only win 44% of showdowns with just a pair, but remember, this is all showdowns where you have just a pair, it doesn't seperate out top pair/overpair/etc. I'm willing to say with great certainty that if you look at showdowns where you bet top pair on the river and are called, you will be good a fairly large majority of the time. Many of the times that you lose a showdown with top pair is when you have a feeling that you are beat, but have to call down anyways because of the pot size and you don't have to be wrong (about being beat) many times for the call to be profitable.

If you really think you overplayed this hand, you really need to go back to basics.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:58 AM

Not value betting TP/2nd Kicker here is wrong, this is the reason why. When you check every single worse hand than you will check behind (with the possible exception of KJ and a bluff), and every single hand better than you will bet. Assuming you will call the bet then you are giving up 1bb every time you lose, and gain nothing everytime you win.
(this excludes the specific type of player who will often bluff when checked to)
Old 06-16-2004, 03:51 PM

"The button was a very loose weak player who was taking pocket pairs to the river no matter. When the T hit my mind went to him holding TT."

"The only hands that will call a bet are better than top pair. I am not seeing / getting any value betting with one pair"

He probably would have paid you off with Kxo too. Putting him on trips on the end sounds like you're almost expecting to lose. Bad runs and suck outs can do that to you, but I can't see any reason not to bet that river here.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:55 AM

Your thinking is all screwed up. I don't even know where to begin.

ok, let's start here. Why would you assume he has exactly TT? If a seven had hit, would you assume he had 77? I just don't get it.

Good luck.
-Eric
Old 06-16-2004, 04:39 AM

hi very
LOL
Old 06-16-2004, 08:15 AM

Bet the river.
Call a raise.

Random dude with random hand won random pot -- and the world keeps on a'spinnin'.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
"Random Is As Random Does"