Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2004, 03:41 AM

Default Middle Limit Hold\'em

What would you do in this situation. I got this from the Bob Ciaffone and Jim Brier Middle Limit hold'em book.

pg. 194 Problem 15

A $10 - $20 game. After two early players limp, you raise with AhKs in middle position. The button, big blind, and limpers call. There is $105 in the pot and five players. The flop comes: 8h 7d 4s, leaving you with overcards. Everyone checks. The turn is the Kd, giving you top pair, top kicker. The big blind checks. The first early limper checks. The next early limper bets.

What would you do and why?
Old 06-12-2004, 04:06 AM

Default Re: Middle Limit Hold\'em

I'd raise and consider folding to a 3-bet back to me. The EP limper who bets could have KQ/KJ or a flush/straight draw with JTs/T9s. He could also have flopped a set. With both a flush and a straight draw on the board, I don't want anyone who's behind to see the river cheaply. I'd think EP limper betting into me is the best thing that could happen here.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:39 AM

i would raise. the guy betting probably has a worse K or worse and i want everyone to get the hell out of my little pot and leave me alone. i dont want some creep hanging around and making 2 pair or a straight which they are all too happy to do in my regular game. yes i know theyre getting crappy odds, but they are sometimes dumb enough to call two bets anyways so they will just have to pay.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:52 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
yes i know theyre getting crappy odds, but they are sometimes dumb enough to call two bets anyways so they will just have to pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

i simply don't get the "i know their odds are bad, but i want them to fold unless they'll take even worse ones" line of thought.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:53 PM

decrease variance?
Old 06-14-2004, 12:12 AM

Better to lose a bet or two than an entire pot.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:24 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

perhaps for people who simply have to book winning sessions, but with a small pot on this crappy board with people checking twice i don't have any fear of it.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:37 AM

do you want 86/76 etc... calling or folding? he/she has a 5, a 6, an 8 or {6,7,8} as outs. thats 9 outs. if you call there's 145 minus rake giving 7.5:1 on the call.

if you raise 86 gets 165:40 or 4.25:1...in both cases the 86 is correct to call if the 86 knew what you had...but do you really want to give that cheap river card to a 9 outer?

so you can both play right if you raise and the 86 calls or you can gain more if the 86 folds when it could have correctly called...

ps- if you say (and will be correct to) that there is no 8 out b/c flop got checked through then fine, change the 8 to another pair card that has 9 outs 2 of one pair 3 of another and 4 for the straight.

-Barron
Old 06-12-2004, 04:39 AM

I consider calling here since the first two players don't seem to like their hand after checking twice. I'm more than happy to let them draw to a straight with a 6 or 5 in their hand for one bet. The same goes for the Button who I doubt has much either.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:12 AM

I'm with Dynasty here. There are no overcards to worry about. There are no 1 card open-ended straight draws. The only legitimate draws are 5 outers or a flush draw. There seems to be little reason to try to shut people out here.

If the board were 876 or 875, I think it would make raising appropriate, but as it stands, given the size of the pot, calling looks good to me.