Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2004, 02:42 AM

Default 0.5/1 players > 2/4 players

May be it is coincidence, but my last two sessions have been at 2/4, up from 0.5/1. And well, OMG. Its stunning some of the hands Im seeing turned over. Truely astonishing. Utter junk. And then you have other people calling you down when your aggression started pre-flop, then what do they do? Raise the river in a pure bluff! Like im going to fold. And then of course if it gets anywhere past half way round PF with nobody in, its a certainty that you'll see a raise very soon. And with junk! Its like there is a law that you must try to steal every time even if you have 72 off! Thank the lord for the WPT. I have found the promised land. Please tell me this is normal and that I havent just been fortunate in my choice of evenings to play so far (Saturday and Wednesday)!

I think there are more students of the game, more people with potential, at the 0.5/1 level. People are weak at 0.5/1, but they are sane also. A large portion of 2/4 players seem to be simply stupid. And there is much more trash talking I find at this level too. Usually from the poorer players. Its highly amusing.

If im not a winning player at this level right now, im very confident that I shortly will be. (Acutally im up by a mile right now, however I have been running well too.) As things are though I feel very comfortable sticking around at this level and learning my game from here. I feel like I know nothing of poker, after all im still on my first read through of HEPFAP and Inside The Poker Mind (great book) and yet I find it hard to believe im not a wining player at this level simply because there are so many people giving you their money.

Im not so sure people should be spending months and months of hour upon hour of 0.5/1 play. There is certainly nothing to be scared of.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:05 AM

Default Re: 0.5/1 players > 2/4 players

Ironically, I took a stab at 5/10 the other night. Usually I play either 2/4 or 3/6. I was shocked at the plays I was seeing. It seemed worse than anything I'd seen at 2/4 or 3/6 tables. I'm sure it wasn't, but it sure shocked me to see such bad play, bad calls, bad pre-flop play, etc. at that level.

Morale of the story...I think no matter what level you play at, people that have enough money will just be starting to play poker and will be horrible. If you can find a table that a few of these cats sit....God bless ya.

T
Old 06-09-2004, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It seemed worse than anything I'd seen at 2/4 or 3/6 tables. I'm sure it wasn't, but it sure shocked me to see such bad play, bad calls, bad pre-flop play, etc. at that level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its interesting you say that. Thats what I feel. May be its all a bit of an illusion. After all I read the same thing said by David Ross when he moved up to 15/30 like "I cant believe all the bad play that goes on at this limit" etc etc. Perhaps its due to the player's knowledge and experience improving in line with the moves up such that the player is not really out of place there at all and has every right/reason to recognise bad play.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:14 AM

AT any givin random able you will find bad play - I have dabbled in 10/20 and found hidious play - to bad my bank was not big enough and I was over my head.

Just because people play at higher limits does not mean they are better.

It DOES mean there are MORE sharks and less fish but SOMETIMES there are more fish then you would think.

2/4 IS harder then .5/1 - no doubt about it. But if a person can win at .5/1 he SHOULD be able to win at 2/4 - albet a little less at 1st.

I think there is a large jump between 2/4 and 3/6. Look at the % preflop at party
44% .5/1
37% 1/2
38% 2/4
31% 3/6
Old 06-09-2004, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at the % preflop at party
44% .5/1
37% 1/2
38% 2/4
31% 3/6

[/ QUOTE ]

Webster: Is that your own data, or from some other source? Always looking for more info, and Party doesn't provide much.

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:47 PM

Well Im not Webster but here is my data from Pokertracker.

$0.50/$1.00 - 42.99% saw flop (4,347 hands)
$1.00/$2.00 - 35.31% saw flop (5,886 hands)
$2.00/$4.00 - 35.93% saw flop (1,827 hands)

I assume that all of the above data includes myself at approximately 13% VPIP so all of those percentages probably need to be raised 2.0%-2.5% to account for Party as a whole.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:36 PM

benfranklin - own data - I actually have the numbers broken down by month and it is getting tighter - not unexpected though because of summer.

The table selection is basically random (don't believe in table selection at Party). sure sure - say what you want - but my bottom line is doing fine thank you over the past year.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:14 AM

Although I agree that it is easily beatable, there is no way that 2/4 is easier than .5/1. The .5/1 tables are far more loose and passive. There is much more aggression at 2/4 -- not as much as at 3/6, but still quite a bit.

Congrats on your success so far -- hopefully it will continue. I just think everyone should realize that 2/4 is not a pure money machine.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please tell me this is normal and that I havent just been fortunate in my choice of evenings to play so far (Saturday and Wednesday)!

[/ QUOTE ]

Two days? You have just been fortunate, or not. Hard to say.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:37 AM

I'll be happy to have fish for dinner any night of the week [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]