Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2004, 02:47 AM

Default The UNABOMBER!?! Are you kidding me?

Am I the only person who finds nicknaming or acting as the Unabomber EXTEREMELY poor taste? Yeah, I guess you could say it's a kinda cool name in a of itself, but didn't this guy kill 3 people including a child and injure/maim like 16 others? What's next, a heavy guy(Raymer?) dressing up in clown makeup and being called "Pogo",(Gacy's nom de clowne)? A skinny guy telling people he's jesus at the card table with a swastika carved in his head and a group of brainwashed female groupies nicknamed "Helter Skelter"? MAybe a creepy guy with an AC/DC hat that we call "The night stalker"?
I know Phil Laak is a fun guy, and menat nothing bad by this. HE just wanted to liven up the WPT telecast, but if I were a victim or relative of a Unanbomber victim, i'd be pretty pissed. Ted Kaczinski deserves NO such acclaim, in even the most innocent of reference. Shame on Phil Laak if he fostered and perpetuated such a nickname, and great shame on the WPT for promoting it. Noww were gonna have guys trying to imitate and look up to "The Unabomber"

Yay.

I think I'm gonna play in the next WPT tourney wearing a tiny moustache, red armband, and goose-step around the table, sieg-hieling every hand I win. They can call me "Der Fuhrer" It'll be great TV. Even better, put me on there with Barry Greenstein. I'm sure that'll be a real ratings grabber.....
[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2004, 02:50 AM

Default Re: The UNABOMBER!?! Are you kidding me?

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only person who finds nicknaming or acting as the Unabomber EXTEREMELY poor taste? Yeah, I guess you could say it's a kinda cool name in a of itself, but didn't this guy kill 3 people including a child and injure/maim like 16 others? What's next, a heavy guy(Raymer?) dressing up in clown makeup and being called "Pogo"

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think he's "dressing up like the unabomber." He just wears that hooded sweashirt, which matches that photo that went around for years for the Unabomber. We used to call one of my friends the unabomber for wearing one of those. I think it's a pretty common cliche for people who wear those things.

Yeah, it's a little sketchy, but not that big of a deal, IMO.

eastbay
Old 06-03-2004, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't think he's "dressing up like the unabomber." He just wears that hooded sweashirt, which matches that photo that went around for years for the Unabomber. We used to call one of my friends the unabomber for wearing one of those. I think it's a pretty common cliche for people who wear those things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. But I didn't see/hear him dissuading the inference, and I doubt it was said without his knowledge. I know I'd be pissed if anyone linked me to that serial killing technophobe [censored]. Also, wearing a hooded sweatshirt doesn't mean you have to wear the hood. Most don't, unless it's cold out. Yes, it's good for hiding yer eyes, etc., but I still think the inference was there by more than mere appearance. I still like Laak, tho. Get that nickname dropped though.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:46 AM

It's interesting that you posted this. I sent an email to The Travel Channel last night saying the same thing.

It's not that this maybe came about because of his wearing the hood - it's that this guy killed 3 people and injured 23 more (according to www.unabombertrial.com). At best, the WPT is just not thinking about what this guy did as it perpetuates this nickname. At worst, they're promoting it and don't care.

Trust me, I'm not one for politcal correctness, but I'm pretty sure we're not going to start calling a person "Osama" because they're wearing a turbin.

The same rationale goes here.

The guys seems fun enough, but I'm with you, let's drop the nickname.

Thanks,

twomarks
Old 06-03-2004, 11:11 AM

You guys are being way to sensitive. You sent an email to the Travel Channel?? Give me a break. And you say your not one for political correctness?

I don't think there was anything wrong with the nickname, it is obviously just due to the hooded sweatshirt, and I'm sure Laak didn't think "ooh, I'll wear this sweatshirt to look like a killer!"

I hate all the PC crap.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:26 AM

I fail to see where actually being aware that someone's actions could ligitimately offend someone is PC.

There are some things - such as my dog's name being Oreo offending an African American - where things go way too far, but I fail to understand why we wouldn't want to avoid continously refering to someone who is responsible for the things that the Unabomber did.

Again - are we going to start calling the next great player from Germany "Hitler"? And don't say it's not the same thing - the same line of thinking follows coming up with both nicknames.

Thanks again - and it doesn't appear that I'm the only one who takes things too seriously.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Agreed. But I didn't see/hear him dissuading the inference, and I doubt it was said without his knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not, it's been his nickname for quite a while now.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, wearing a hooded sweatshirt doesn't mean you have to wear the hood. Most don't, unless it's cold out. Yes, it's good for hiding yer eyes, etc., but I still think the inference was there by more than mere appearance.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you trying to say here? He got the nickname because he wore his hood + glasses like that.. not the other way around.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:00 AM

Oddly enough I played last night with somebody who had a relative killed by the Unabomber, and she didn't mind it at all.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:31 AM

Somewhere, the real Unabomber is pissed that Phil Laak is making him look bad.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:35 PM

Did Phil pen his hown nickname? Unless that is the case, I have a hard time finding fault with him over it. I personally feel his antics are more annoying than his nickname. Phils antics at the final table seem to be much more disruptive than other players who's antics have been criticized in the past.

Bubbagump