FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is smarter?
OC 1 12.50%
MS 2 25.00%
Who gives a shite? 5 62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2004, 05:32 AM

Default Lunch!

Can someone please help me deciding what I should have for lunch?

It's almost time to have lunch. But we don't know what to eat.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Lunch!

I can't say that McDonald's really appeals to me. But french fries don't make such a great meal, and the remaining three options are owned by Pepsi--which is just gross. The default is the adequate McDonald's.

-2kF
Old 05-21-2004, 12:10 PM

Pepsi used to own 2, not 3 of the places mentioned, KFC and Pizza Hut, but they were spun off along with Taco Bell years ago.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:41 PM

The default is the adequate McDonald's.

HA!!! i voted for mcdonalds before reading this analysis. however, i did it because i LIKE greasy burgers not because i applied some dumbass process of elimination.

you people have NO LIFE!!

ok, let me get to work, i have 114 useless posts to make today and i am getting started late.

Old 05-21-2004, 06:29 AM

I've never heard any country associated with waffles that wasn't Belgium. You're right about the French thing. I remember reading somewhere that it is believed that we call them French fries to spite the English. Funny people tried to change the name again to spite the French. Oh well...

Also if you like French fries you should come to Pittsburgh. The fries are on everything - salad, sandwiches (yes the fries are in the sandwiches) you name it. That is probably the 1 local custom I enjoy. I've actually walked into a restaurant and said "do you have fries?" and when they responded in the positive followed it up "great, then I'll have a salad."
Old 05-21-2004, 07:27 AM

In the UK we call french fries, chips except in Macdonalds etc. Chips though tend to be cut thicker than the generic french fies. If you come to the UK you have to have Fish and chips ate out of the paper with loads of salt and vinegar.

Also never understood why Americans call Crisps, chips.

Its a funny language english.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you come to the UK you have to have Fish and chips ate out of the paper with loads of salt and vinegar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have enjoyed this there before. When I as in high school we had a foreign exchange student living with us from Stoke-On-Trent. I visited him there for a little over a week. One thing I enjoy about he fish and chips there is the vinegar oil and grease running down your arm after it has already soaked through the paper. I'm sure that's healthy.

Here stateside we do tend to call them chips if they are eaten with fish. I have never heard anybody say fish and fries. As for the crisps I think we call them chips for the same reason that we call poker chips poker chips. They resemble wood and other kinds of chips. Crisps also makes sense given that they're crispy.

edit: I wanted to add that the best breakfast food I've ever had was bacon and oatcakes. Sadly the oatcakes seems to be fairly specific to Stoke and we can't even get good bacon here.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sadly the oatcakes seems to be fairly specific to Stoke

[/ QUOTE ]

Go into any tourist shop selling scottish stuff - the oatcakes are right next to the shortbread.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:28 PM

This reminds me of the scene from Angela's Ashes, when the kid hasn't eaten a crumb for days and actually LICKS the newspaper in which the fish and chips were packaged.

I don't think one needs to be starving to actually fully understand one's desire to do this.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:26 AM

i lived kind of near Pittsburgh for a summer (Johnstown) and a bar/restaurant just down the block from where i lived had these spectacular salads topped with super greasy-Fries.

the first time i had it i was kind of surprised...had never seen fries on a salad before....but by the end of my stay in that area i remember being disappointed when i ordered a salad and it came to me sans fries because they were out.

oh the memories of those salads (and the sandwiches with the fries also).

also, i consider myself to be something of a french-fry conniseur (sp??) and indeed have had a big basket of fries as a meal before.

although, the McDonald's fries usually rate very low on my list of quality fries. you cant be a french-fry connoseur and actually like McDonald's fries.
that's like the world's most reknown wine-taster popping the cap off a bottle of Boone's.
or a food-critic reviewing....well....McDonald's.