Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2004, 09:22 PM

Default $5/$10 blinds PLO at the WSOP

Went out to the WSOP for a few days, but when I got there I realized that playing limit holdem live is pointless for me compared to online, so I found other fun things to play. One was PLO. I thought the game was pretty soft, but it's certainly not my specialty. Or even something I think I'm really good at. At the point this hand takes place my image is very tight, and a couple of Texans have been pointing that out a lot so I think everyone at the table knows
I've been folding a lot. I have about $700 on the table, everyone in this hand has me covered (feel free to tell me I have too little money, I bought in relatively small to try out the game).

I get A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in late middle position. Two limpers to me, one loose and one average. I pot it, $60 to go. Player to my left calls. He is pretty loose and very aggressive. Small blind and both limpers call. Texan says something about "look out, the nerd is raising". $310 in pot.

Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. This seems good. Checked to me and I bet $300. Mistake? Only the player to my left calls. $910 in pot.

Turn is J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], so I have the nut straight, two flush redraws (only 1 to the nuts but the other does have one nut out in the straight flush assuming the other guy has Ad), and top 2 pair. I bet the last of my money all in, about $350. But I considered checking, hoping that my aggressive opponent would think my tight ass is bluffable. The free card can't be THAT bad here right? Especially since agressive opponent must have SOMETHING to call the flop, and I have little enough money that the few draws that scare me probably will call me anyway. Is this thinking crazy? Should I have bet or checked?

PS crossposting to Other Games forum, I see PLO posts on both and am never sure where I should post.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:50 PM

Default Re: $5/$10 blinds PLO at the WSOP

I would consider a check-raise all-in on the flop if you think there is a good chance that the loose-aggressive will bet. Perhaps you did and felt there was not a good chance.

Other than that I think you played it perfectly. In PLO you always have to consider that either a scare card could come killing the action or an opponent will miss his draw and not call a river bet.

Just my opinion, curious what others think.

Paul
Old 05-18-2004, 12:33 AM

The answer is pretty simple. If you have not yet played a pot where you slowed down on the turn and folded to a bet, then move in. Give him the rope.

If you have already had a pot go down where you check-folded the turn after being aggressive, then you should check here.

Oh, and you knew this obviously, but it has to be said. $700 is extremely shortstacked for a 5-10 pot limit omaha game.

TAFKAn
Old 05-18-2004, 08:44 AM

Just bet. There's not a lot left, so there's no real need to trap. If you let him see the river for free, several bad things could happen: another broadway card could come and you could split, one of your flushes could come and he could fold, the board could pair and you wouldn't know what to do. Put him all in when the worst case scenario is that you're double-freerolling him.
Nice hand.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:43 AM

I used to play a lot of PLO, and I think it really is a game of having the nuts/so many draws at the nuts that your opp is the one really drawing. I think I would just put the money in here if I was you. If he really does have 2 pair/trips etc. he probably won't call your river bet unless he beats the str out there. And if the flush comes out, he will be even less likely to call. PLO is a nutty game, get ready for a wild ride!

my 2 cents
Old 05-18-2004, 11:40 AM

with only 350 left just put the money in. when he calls you on the flop you both know the money is going in.

--turnipmonster
Old 05-18-2004, 04:08 PM

Default RESULTS: $5/$10 blinds PLO at the WSOP

My opponent folded on the turn, and said he had the nut diamond draw.

I was surprised he folded, and of course that is why I asked if there was any reason to check to try to draw him in. But you have all confirmed what I initally thought: no good reason not to bet.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:55 AM

First, you should post in this forum because you might bring someone like natedogg out of hiding.

You've already gotten good advice, so I'll just add one thing: your opponent probably thinks you have aces, since that's what tight, inexperienced short stacks have when they raise. If you bet the turn he'll probably put you on aces with the nut straight. There's so little money left that I'd probably just toss it in, but if you think you can pull off a glum these-damn-things-never-hold-up check, it might be worth a shot.