Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2004, 02:02 AM

Default 30-60 Hand

Here's another "play this hand against Clark" post.

30-60 with $15 and $30 blinds at the Horseshoe. You are an ultra loose, somewhat tricky player who is very familiar with my play. You are generally passive preflop, and more aggressive/tricky postflop. You know that I know that you know.......

That said, play this hand how *you* would play it (i.e. not how the described player would play it). Just be aware of the table images.

I open raise 2 off the button. Folded to Hero in the SB who 3-bets with AhQd. BB folds, Clark calls.

Flop: Th 5c 3s. You bet, Clark calls.

Turn: 8d. You bet.

What do you do if Clark raises?

If he doesn't raise, what do you do on the river if no Ace or Queen come? Bet, check-call, check-fold?
Old 04-28-2004, 02:35 AM

Default Re: 30-60 Hand

If raised on the turn I fold. If not raised on the turn I check fold the river w/o improvement.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:57 AM

I agree 100% with Vehn. There is no point in betting the river. He can't fold a better hand, (if you called the turn with AK or small pair you are also calling the river), and I dont think you can call him with a worse one. I would also fold if raised on the turn. I think the only two questions are, is your oppenent better off checking or betting the turn, and what should he do on the river assuming he leads on the turn, checks the river, and you bet him on the. I would likely throw my hand away, but there are some players who I would call here.

I do agree agree with his turn bet, but im interested in what other think about about it. I assume you may try to take the pot away from him on the turn regardless of your holding if he checks it to you.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:18 AM

Default Agree *NM*

Old 04-28-2004, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If raised on the turn I fold. If not raised on the turn I check fold the river w/o improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]

in other words, all someone needs to do after you 3 bet before the flop from SB is to smooth call a medium/low board flop and turn, and just bet if checked to on river?

or they throw in the occassional raise on the turn as a semibluff?

if these are true, then you should never 3 bet from SB without a premium pair...
Old 04-28-2004, 02:56 AM

Clarky I wouldn't even have seen the flop. My cards hit the muck preflop.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:07 AM

Hey Mikey,

Dont you think Clark is raising with a pretty wide range of hands two off the button? I would guess he is gonna open raise with a lot of hands that you are likely to have pretty well dominated. I'm not sure folding AQ is right, although being heads up of position here wont be a dream come true either.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:16 AM

Poker is a game of decisions and I will give you my reasons why I'm folding this hand preflop.

1) Clarky raised coming in.
2) I'm out of position.
3) I'm only committed for $15.
4) If I don't flop to my hand I'm going to find myself bluffing or even semibluffing it all the way down.
5) There is a reasonable chance I can be outplayed postflop.

Old 04-28-2004, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3) I'm only committed for $15.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF does that have to do w/ anything? To this day it surprises me how many players utilize how much they've "already invested" in making their playing decisions. Look, you're not "committed" for anything. You have a hand. Your opponent has a hand. There's money in the pot. It's some amount to call/raise or you can fold. Everything that's happened prior to this point is over and the only impact it should have on your decision is the fact that what happened prior influences how much money happens to be in the pot at this moment. Aarrrghhhh.....

[ QUOTE ]
4) If I don't flop to my hand I'm going to find myself bluffing or even semibluffing it all the way down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you're automatically going to spew chips all over the place when you miss and your opponent doesn't, then you're likely correct to not play this hand. If you are confident your postflop play sucks so bad that you can't play AQ v. an aggressive late position open-raiser, well, at least you get credit for knowing that, I guess.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:36 AM

AQo is an f'n monster here. . .