Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2004, 07:14 PM

Default Party saves my bacon!

Yes, that's what I said. Pick yourself up off the floor and read on.

It's 9:50 PM my time last night, and after a fruitless day at the screen I decide on one last tourney. Nothing on Stars (I'm on PDT), nothing on UB, ah..here we go...Party 30+3. Had a good score in that one earlier this week, let's go for it. Sign up, national anthem, first pitch aaaaand...it's LIMIT!

At which I suck.

Well, maybe not suck, but I'm surely not any good at all. I have to carry "Limit-speak for Dummies" with me any time I venture into the SS forum.

Plodding along, down to t600, small crash, resume 5 minutes later, hit a small hand, hit a better hand, t1400, big crash. Wait, write an e-mail to a friend, wiat, another e-mail, check back, screw it, I'm going to bed. Just to make myself feel better I e-mail Party, telling them I'm abandoning such and such a tourney due to delays, and I expect a refund. (I know this is folly, but, as I say, it makes me feel better.)

In my morning E-mail is a leter from Party, they had to cancel the tourney, apologies, extra money in the prize fund, here's how we awarded the prize fund and...I got $47! Made a profit on a tournament I did not mean to enter and in which my EV was something like negative infinity.

There's no other point to this post, other than to provide you with a place to tell your own accidental "my cat hit the cursor" stories of unexpected profit.
Happy to provide this service.

Doug
Old 04-26-2004, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Party saves my bacon!

Funny you say that. My cat jumped into my lap and scared the be-jezus out of me and I accidentally clicked all in on a UB.com multi tourney. Turns out I called w/ an unimproved ace high on a middle card flop. Better was betting king high, my hand was good.
Nice call, Kitty.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:33 PM

I own two cats. They may have won more money than I have.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I own two cats. They may have won more money than I have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you bought them something nice... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2004, 11:09 AM

To think I've been scowering this site for weeks trying to figure out why my game went south, and the answer was so simple, I need to buy a cat...

Thanks guys, I'll be going to the animal shelter after work
Old 04-27-2004, 01:49 PM

Great....not only am I locked up in my house playing poker on the internet after the kids go to sleep, but by this post, i need to become a cat person to win at poker? No way! Where are all the dog owners? They don't have pictures of cats playing poker, its Dogs!! Woof Woof... .. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
G$
"A dog who chases his tail will get dizzy"
Old 04-27-2004, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
scowering

[/ QUOTE ]

scouring maybe?
Old 04-27-2004, 01:45 AM

Playing in a $20 NLHE tourney down to the last two tables and I pick up 55 in late position.One of the guys in early postion limps and I think to my self "I'll just call here and try to flop a set" as you do,then get distracted by something(can't remember wether it was the cat or not [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) I look back at my screen and the timer is counting down, so I click the call button when it dawns on me that the guy to my right has re-raised all-in!! OH SH*T

I hold my head in my hands for a second then look up to see the limper re-raising all-in!! OOPS!
[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

So the cards are exposed and my measly pair of fives is up against AA and AKs. Well low and behold I flop and 5 and go on to win the tourney and a nice $1800 to boot. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I guess sometime it is better to be lucky than skilfull!
Old 04-27-2004, 05:05 AM

My only stories are late in NL tournies getting my AA called by a some guy distracted by his cat with 55 and him spiking a 5 and busting me out, and others of a similar vein. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2004, 09:44 AM

Default My Cat hit the cursor:

Doug,

My all time favorite is about 6 weeks ago, I'm in a SNG that is running a little slow, so I'm playing Minesweeper on the side between plays. Just as I go to click on Minesweeper, the game pops back up and "PRESTO" I have just clicked the raise button. Even BETTER, I reraised T1000 into a big pot holding 74o.

Believe it or not, the flop was:

7 7 4 !

True story.

Doc