Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2004, 10:42 AM

Default Am I a calling station

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed)

First hand at the table and I have notes on only one of the players at the table.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

I re-raise here about 80% of the time, but being the first hand at table I prefer not 3 betting out of position.

Flop: (8 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Was planning on check-raising the flop but was foiled by small blinds raise.

Turn: (7 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

River: (10 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 13 BB, between SB, Hero and MP2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (13 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Qs Qh (two pair, queens and nines).
Hero shows Ks As (flush, ace high).
MP2 shows Ah Kc (two pair, nines and sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins 13 BB. </font>
Old 04-20-2004, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Am I a calling station

[ QUOTE ]

I re-raise here about 80% of the time, but being the first hand at table I prefer not 3 betting out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does it matter that it was your first hand ?
Old 04-20-2004, 11:11 AM

3 bet pre flop, after that it looks pretty standard
Old 04-20-2004, 11:12 AM

IMO AKs is worth a 3-bet at any table in any position.

I like the idea of c/r the flop. Just calling the SB's flop raise (as opposed to 3-betting) makes sense IMO cuz you don't want to drive away people who will pay you off when you hit your hand. IMO calling was the RIGHT move and raising would have been a huge mistake.

Raising the turn isn't gonna scare anyone away and folding would be stoooopid, so calling is the right move.

River play is obvious.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:33 AM

Interesting hand and discussion.

To your larger question, I think being a calling station is a matter of if you become more aggressive or less aggressive preflop and postflop.

So while I think calling the raise preflop vs 3betting is iffy with AKs in the BB, I think you should 3bet the flop.

I think you have to show aggression somewhere. Do you like your hand more preflop or postflop?

I notice both your opponents automatically call the river bet when the flush comes. I think that makes them calling stations. What did they put you on? You didn't show any aggression, you flat call the whole way and bet out the river, you have a flush.

Now if you had 3bet the flop someone with a weaker flush would have raised you [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-20-2004, 12:07 PM

Is 3-betting the flop really a good idea? It seems like he would be taking the worst of it since he's getting 2 to 1 on his money when the odds of making the flush on the turn is 4 to 1. I don't think counting on a raise on the river due to this specific move covers him. Though, I could be wrong.

Edit: I forgot about the overcards as outs. I suck at this stuff heheh.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is 3-betting the flop really a good idea? It seems like he would be taking the worst of it since he's getting 2 to 1 on his money when the odds of making the flush on the turn is 4 to 1. I don't think counting on a raise on the river due to this specific move covers him. Though, I could be wrong.

Edit: I forgot about the overcards as outs. I suck at this stuff heheh.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's 4-1 to make it on the turn, but he is 1.8-1 to make it by the river. So if he has two people with him on the flop his raises are for value. The problem with 3 betting in this hand is that it might drive out the original bettor
Old 04-20-2004, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with 3 betting in this hand is that it might drive out the original bettor.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he doesn't hit the flush but does hit an overcard getting MP2 out wins him the whole pot vs chopping.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:01 PM

I like your play post-flop. I moght have three-bet it pre-flop, maybe not.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The problem with 3 betting in this hand is that it might drive out the original bettor.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he doesn't hit the flush but does hit an overcard getting MP2 out wins him the whole pot vs chopping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but the way the sb played he had no reason to think that he wouldn't be ahead if an overcard hit. Besides: keeping a guy that calls that river with A high in the hand is no doubt the most +EV play in the long run.