Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2004, 11:51 PM

Default AA early on

I just finished a $10 SnG on Party. My seocnd hand dealt was AA on the button. everyone has 800-825 chips. UTG+1 bets 60, and MP+1 bets 125, I pushed all 800. My thinking was that even though its party what fool is going to call? I'll take the 185 and smile. Well they both called [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img], I won(UTG+1 showed AKo, MP+1 77), and actually won the whole SnG [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. But the hand bothers me, I realize with both callers odds were probably about right for this, but was my pushing all in this early in the tourney just plain dumb? Sure tripling up on hand two was great, but I coud just have well been gone. Basically does the risk (going out) offset the reward (great chip position for the money)?
Old 04-16-2004, 12:35 AM

Default Re: AA early on

Push. Anytime you can get a chance to double, or triple, your stack that early in those crapshoots, you have to take it. In the event you get outdrawn, laugh and join the next one.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Push. Anytime you can get a chance to double, or triple, your stack that early in those crapshoots, you have to take it. In the event you get outdrawn, laugh and join the next one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely. No way are we turning this into a "Should I fold my AA preflop?" thread.

-Edge
Old 04-16-2004, 01:56 AM

I would suggest raising less, but not because of the danger of busting out -- rather, because it's a shame just to win what's on the table when these low-limit players are so willing to pay you off with marginal hands. Obviously you won the maximum on this hand, but I think that, on balance, you will win more from them by making a more reasonable reraise preflop (say, to 300 or 400), and then pushing on the flop regardless of what comes.

Then again, I may be underestimating just how maniacal most $10+$1 players are. If the players in this example are par for the course (especially the player holding 77), then pushing is certainly correct.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:35 AM

This is absolutely not how I would've played it. Roy Cooke of Cardplayer Magazine wrote once that if you have an edge, you want to increase volume and it will lead to greater profit over time.

With AA, preflop, you clearly have an edge. Sure, you don't want to limp, and let everyone in, because in a tournament there is a great percentage of the time where you will not want to exploit small advantages. But in this case, with a raise in front of you to thin the field. Just call.

Occasionally you will get a flop where you are CLEARLY behind. For example, if you have black aces and the flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] , you are probably behind. Many of the likely hands that raised preflop are beating you, and you can get away from a bad beat.

But most of the time, you will see a friendly flop. Check raise all in on the flop in most cases, and in the long run you will make more money. Sure, every now and then you will lose because you didnt push all in, but when you have the advantage, you want the volume.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is absolutely not how I would've played it. Roy Cooke of Cardplayer Magazine wrote once that if you have an edge, you want to increase volume and it will lead to greater profit over time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Over time?
Well lets play this hand over 1000 times and see what happens.

Good move, regardless of short term outcome.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2004, 10:11 PM

Default Hiding - I like this answer better...

Although as another poster mentioned, it may underestimate how loose 10+1 players are.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:52 AM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

Overbetting the pot gives also the impression that you are trying to steal it with a marginal hand. That combined with the fact that it is a 10$ SNG and if they go busted they can just join another one will make many players call the bet.

All-in is definitely the right move in this situation.

William [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2004, 09:28 AM

After 2 raises at Party you are almost certain to get a caller if you push, for me this is an auto push.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My seocnd hand dealt was AA on the button...But the hand bothers me, I realize with both callers odds were probably about right for this, but was my pushing all in this early in the tourney just plain dumb? Sure tripling up on hand two was great, but I could just have well been gone. Basically does the risk (going out) offset the reward (great chip position for the money)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your concern in this situation should be how to extract the most money from these opponents, while keeping in mind the additional risk of busting out if either one calls on a favorable flop when they would have folded preflop. You cannot be worried about your AA being busted by anyone who will go all-in before the flop. If this is something about which you do worry, you should not be playing NL!