Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2004, 01:25 PM

Default I almost never cold call, was this a good time?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Guido is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Guido calls, CO (poster) calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

What do you think?

Guido
Old 04-07-2004, 01:29 PM

Default Re: I almost never cold call, was this a good time?

QJ suited is a weak hand to call with to a raise. Still I find myself trying it though with four callers ahead of me.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:35 PM

I was sure the poster would call and one or perhaps both of the blinds would come along. Why do you think it's a weak hand to call a raise with? Do you think there is much difference with KQs? I don't play it for the Q or J just for a straight or flush.

Thanks,

Guido
Old 04-07-2004, 01:46 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I don't play it for the Q or J just for a straight or flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

then you certainly aren't going to make money cold-calling with it (not that you would anyway). if you play it just for straights, flushes, trips, and two pairs, you'll lose a lot of money

Old 04-07-2004, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
then you certainly aren't going to make money cold-calling with it (not that you would anyway). if you play it just for straights, flushes, trips, and two pairs, you'll lose a lot of money

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends on the flop of course and the action in front of me after the flop. When the flop is J52r and it is checked to me of course I play it, but you know that. But when there is some aggression in front of me I will fold when there isn't a good draw or I don't have the odds to call for 2 pair or something like that. But that's not my intention...

Thanks,

Guido
Old 04-07-2004, 02:02 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

QJo is a generally pretty crappy hand. being suited alone doesn't make QJs playable after a raise. it lacks high card power that just about all premium hands, and is dominated by AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, AQ, KQ, and AJ, and it's an underdog to TT and 99. being dominated is the most expensive situation in hold 'em. you're basically drawing to 1/3 of the deck (if that) while letting your opponent have twice as much equity. it's simply not possible to avoid a lot of situations where you're dominated, and you have to pay a lot of bets only to show down the 2nd best hand. plus, even when you do have the best hand, it's difficult to be aggressive because you know your opponent has a premium hand. the only way to avoid such situations is by just mucking preflop.

I'm not saying that if you're in a potentially bad situation, you should muck. I'm just saying that when you are in a situation where you'll be in a bad situation a good portion of the time when you hit your flop, you probably shouldn't play it.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:50 PM

The main key here is that the 4 seat rasied. What hand do you think he has that you are ahead of at this point?
By the by: KQs is very much better then QJs.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:40 PM

I don't like it.

And yes, KQs is much better than QJs.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well that's clear [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
And yes, KQs is much better than QJs.

[/ QUOTE ]
When you play it for flush and straight value my question is why KQs is MUCH better than QJs. There are only two possible straights with KQs and 3 with QJs. For obvious reasons KQs has better flush value than QJs. But what is the BIG difference between these two according to you? Would you have called KQs in this situation?

Thanks,

Guido
Old 04-07-2004, 02:04 PM

the difference between 2 combinations for a straight and 3 is much, much, MUCH smaller than the high-card power of a K versus a J. notice how KQo is generally considered a strong hand, while KJo is considered junk. high cards win the money, whether you like it or not. suited connectors and suited aces and small pairs can win some money, but big cards win the majority of your money

I would venture as far as to say that I'd probably rather have KQo than QJs in most situations. KQ wins me a lot of money simply because I'm able to stay aggressive because I have big overcards. also I don't have to worry as mucha bout 2-pair when I hit a Q than I do when I hit an A, so it has its advantages over AK