Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2004, 10:35 PM

Default Playin heads up for first

Hey,
I have been doing okay at the SnG's on party, except for one part. When I make it to the final three with a chip lead I have no problem getting one of the players out. But, when I start the heads up even with a massive chip lead I end up with a lot more seconds than firsts. Against some players its no big deal, but the guys that continually go all in cause me a lot of trouble.
What hands do you call with? I usually will with any A, PP or a big connector(suited or not) (KQ,QJ) and sometimes KT. But after that I'm not to happy paying 2000 chips with a J8 to see a flop only to be sucked out by a 92. Sometimes just raising the min will get them to fold, but other times it just pushes them to shove in. Does anyone have a particular strategy for playing against this type of player heads up? Any insight would be appreciated.

Shaun
Old 03-26-2004, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Playin heads up for first

For starters, always go all-in or fold preflop. None of that calling or minraising crap.

The hands you call with depends on your pot odds. If the blinds are 300/600, you have 1000 chips or less, and the SB shoves, you should call with every single hand, but if the stacks are 5k and 5k with the same blands, you can play relatively tight here.

Edit: Yes, the same blands. No that is not a typo for blinds. I'm talking blands here.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:15 AM

Those who constantly go in are likely closer to correct strategy than you are. I push or fold in heads up situations unless we get there really early, like level 5.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:31 PM

I can confirm this [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2004, 03:52 PM

Well we played 3 hands heads up according to my records, not a big sample. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I will happily poke min raises but players who are weak and fold too many hands heads up as I will wear them down and win more safely. Pokerstars 2 tables and in general over there I play different because you have enough in chips to play more normally.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:45 AM

I suggest doing some practice heads up SNGs at stars or anywhere that spreads them.

Against anyone who likes to push in a lot preflop, once it's heads up, I usually oblige them by doing so myself before they get the chance to go over the top and put ME to the test. I do so with any hand that plays well hot and cold.

al
Old 03-26-2004, 11:17 AM

Thank you all for the advice. I had been suspecting that was going to be the case. I was being outplayed, and correctly at that. I appreciate all the feebback.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Cheap heads up SNGs?

I too have this same problem. I play very poorly heads up. I would like to do some practice at heads up SNGs, but they're all a little bit pricey for me. Does anyone know if there are sites that have play money heads up SNGs or these under $5? Lemme know, thanks.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Cheap heads up SNGs?

Stars have 1 on 1 0.01/0.02 NL ring games (scroll all the way down to the bottom before the play money tables).

However, I'm not really sure these are good practice for playing heads up at the end of a SNG since the blinds at that point will be so much higher that its really a different game.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:42 PM

I have been faced with the exact same problem -- but in play money SNGs! I'd been playing the .5/1 ring games on Party, and thought I might give the SNGs a go. I decided I would first practice with the play money tournaments. I found that it's very easy for me to place in the money, but I have a hell of a time winning when it gets heads up. I figured I'd better do something to remedy this problem before playing in the real money SNGs.

This is what motivated me to do the endgame simulations described in the following thread, which indicate that I was probably playing too tight:

Simulated heads-up endgame in all-in or fold mode

(P.S. Sorry if I seem like a spammer for posting this link in two consecutive threads, but I really do think it's relevant to both questions.)