Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2004, 12:19 PM

Default The Art of the Steal

I play mainly 6-10 player 10/20 and 20/40 games. I recently learned of several HE pre-flop stealing techniques that I have been experimenting with. While they have definitely added to my win rate, I and am interested in suggestions on using them more extensively. The two main techniques are:

1. “Button Stealing”: This situation arises when you are opening from the cut-off seat, one seat to the right of the button. The idea is to raise and force out the button, and possibly steal the blinds. If the blind(s) stay in you still have position and the initiative of the hand.
2. “Steal Reraise”: This situation arise when you’re the button and the cutoff (player to your immediate right) open-raises. Your reraise is designed to eliminate the blinds, get you heads-up and give you the initiative.

My main question is, what hands besides the obvious raising and re-raising hands should you consider in these two situations? Also, are there other related strategies used by successful players?
Old 02-27-2004, 12:27 PM

Default Re: The Art of the Steal

At the risk of sounding harsh, this really reminds me of Mikey's post about holding JT and when the flop comes K97 you have basically an open-ended straight draw. Good god man.

If its really about stealing, do the cards really even matter?
Old 02-27-2004, 10:42 PM

"If its really about stealing, do the cards really even matter?"

At the risk of sounding patronizing, "of course the cards matter!" In one of these cases you're trying to steal the buttton, not the hand (although the possibility of doing that is clearly a factor). This is neither a stone-cold bluff, nor a standard semi-bluff; fundamentally, it's a question of how much to relax normal standards when these additional considerations exist.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:16 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

The best hand to steal-raise with is something like T9s, right? So wouldn't good hands be the ones closest to that, like 89s or T8s?

And yes I'm aware AA is better than T9s (just trying to protect myself from the fecias-ness).
Old 02-28-2004, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(just trying to protect myself from the fecias-ness).

[/ QUOTE ] STOP MOCKING ME DAMNIT!!!!! BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE
Old 02-28-2004, 02:49 PM

ok. wARE UNTIED. nOW LETS' GET SERIUS!
Old 02-27-2004, 12:37 PM

There is no easy answer to your question. In general, if nobody has entered the pot and you are in middle or late position you should raise with any hand that you intend to play (if there is any possibility of stealing the blinds).

It all depends on the players you are up against. If the blinds are really tight, you don't need much of a hand. If they are loose, you need something decent. You also should have a good idea of how to play after then flop.

When 3-betting someone who you suspect is on a steal, you need to know what kinds of hands they will steal with as well as what they think of your play.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:38 PM

lol, I suspect you of being facias in this post. However, I will respond seriously despite my suspicion. If you have only recently learned of steal raises and reraises and honestly play 20-40 and 10-20, I recommend you immediately drop stakes to something more reasonable. Simply put, everyone at mid levels know about these two plays.
Kenshin
PS Cards do matter when you attempt a steal raise or reraise
Old 02-27-2004, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PS Cards do matter when you attempt a steal raise or reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

reraise, yes, raise, why? If you know what your opponent will defend with, it matters little as long as you play it well post flop. Especially if they are tight. With staunch blind defenders, you aren't really stealing, since you know you can't. You're just raising the price of admission.

Btw, if you can't tell, i'm hung over.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:47 PM

Unless I am playing against tighty mctight, I will not attempt steal raises with hands like Q4o. I hate investing multiple bets preflop and, if he calls, on the flop with little hand strength.
With regards to your hangover, I recommend that you find the biggest, greasiest burger available and eat it. Trust me, it will work wonders for you