Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2004, 06:47 AM

Default OTAY.. HERE IS A SIMPLE 3RD STREET HAND...

Hi,

Standard 5-10 game.

You have (8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

A straightforward solid player with a 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] completes the bet in front of you.

Call,Raise,or fold and why?

P.S. - assume all your needed cards are live and nothing threatening behind you.

CJ
Old 01-31-2004, 07:05 AM

Default Re: OTAY.. HERE IS A SIMPLE 3RD STREET HAND...

Call, raise, and fold are all legit options.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:50 AM

I don't know what a "straight forward" opponent means. If he follows SCSFAP by rote, then he could be raising with:

1) A big pair--if yours is the only overcard.

2) A medium pair higher than sixes, like nines, and a lousy kicker--if yours is the only overcard to his medium pair.

3)With a pair of sixes and a quality kicker like a straight flush card or an Ace--if there are only two overcards behind him.

4)Trips.

5)Not a flush.

6)Not a straight.

I reraise to try and narrow the field and get it heads up.

Old 01-31-2004, 02:44 PM

I think it's pretty close among all three options. If your definition of "straightforward" is similar to mine, opponent probably has a pocket pair bigger than Eights. With your King door card, you are probably going to be out of position for the rest of the hand. Someone behind you just might have something too. This is a spot where I'll sometimes call and sometimes re-raise, but against a truly straightforward opponent, I would lean towards mucking, unless I haven't seen a pair in a long time....
Old 01-31-2004, 04:48 PM

Someone behind you just might have something too.

The two flush makes the hand playable multiway.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The two flush makes the hand playable multiway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the two flush makes a very small overall difference in the general playability and strategy for the hand. It might break the tie in extremely close situations, which this really is not.

al
Old 02-01-2004, 12:04 AM

I guess the question is straightforward how. If he's a TOM and this raise is likely an overpair, I fold. If he's a loose passive sort, I raise. If he's reasonably solid and could make this play with a variety of hands, I consider calling if I think the others will fold anyway -- for instance if there's only one palyer to act behind me and he has a 4 in the door and is ready to muck.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:18 PM

If a loose passive player raises with a Six in the door, I think this hand is an easy muck.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:31 PM

By "have something," I meant a hand that you're currently behind. If that's the case, you're losing equity. I don't particularly want to take this hand up against two higher pairs. This is similar to the argument in HE that part of the reason you shouldn't call a "legitimate" raise with AQ is that someone else behind you might also have a big hand.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:02 PM

Let's assume the 6 up has a pair either sixes with a kicker smaller than a king, or a pocket pair smaller than kings. If you have 88K and everything is live, thus your sidecard is higher than his pair, you have a 41% (I think?) chance of catching two better pair or trip eights by the river. Given what the pot odds you'll be getting are (assuming some sort of ante and a decent pot when you raise) then you're almost certainly getting at least the pot odds needed to break even on reraising. If you just called and everyone else folded, you'd be better off of course, but with your king up and eights in the hole, you are probably better off reraising, thus representing KK, and also driving out second or third best hands. This gives you the added possibility of his folding in the future when you catch a scare card, such as a king or ace, even tho he might really have the pot odds to continue if he actually knew what you had. The best part of it is that if you catch an eight, it'll look like a blank, and you might get the max out of a hand where you're the big fav.

al