Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2003, 07:39 AM

Default quite incredible

i have posted some articles already and still worry about those losing streaks. Chances of being drawn out on river heads up are maybe 5% when u see the showdown and calculate the odds for the turn afterwards. theres a specific type of player that i really worry about. some call them fish, others maniacs. i play for profit low limit holdem and baby no limit. and especially in no limit i often seem to lose with hands u dont expect to lose and always against those fishies. for example my current session i played 20 minutes and lost winnings of 7 hours. first hand was a full house aces of jacks(!) with two aces in the whole to a str8 flush on river. if u say maybe i played aces preflop slow or checked on flop and turn.. no i was far ahead a favorite and flopped a set and was heads up against K10s second was flopped set of deuces with deuces in the dark to rivered set of nines all the way aggressively bet...the same player...a runner runner chaser.. the same player!!! i mean chances on turn were 5% for him but he called my strong bet.. i cant blame him calling me because i dont blame players callin with bad odds.. they make me win on the long run.. but why did he win that hand again with chances lower than 5%??? within 10 minutes??.. and it hasnt been the first time i seem to lose to beginners horribly..

and heres my theory.. if a new player signs up a new account the most important thing for a poker site is to get that player stuck to the site.. right so far? and the almost only way to ensure him playin for hours is to let him win some money in the beginning.. my question is do u have that feeling too that online run of cards is not that equivalent of present cards? or am i just paranoid losing with full houses all the time... remember i posted some days ago worryin about losin streaks and it happened again...do i overestimate full houses? i mean strong ones if u know what i mean [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

im excited to hear your opinions and maybe i will later post that hands i lost with in the forum.

any help dr al? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2003, 10:08 AM

Default Re: quite incredible

[ QUOTE ]

and heres my theory.. if a new player signs up a new account the most important thing for a poker site is to get that player stuck to the site.. right so far? and the almost only way to ensure him playin for hours is to let him win some money in the beginning.. my question is do u have that feeling too that online run of cards is not that equivalent of present cards? or am i just paranoid losing with full houses all the time

[/ QUOTE ]

Take your pills
Old 12-22-2003, 10:36 AM

Did his voices tell you to say that?

Cris
Old 12-22-2003, 11:49 AM

Dear Dr. Al,

I'm having this problem. I can only win online within days of opening an account. At first, I play *great.* I ram and jam on just about "any two" beacause I just have that "feeling". Then, sure enough, I hit runner-runner to take it down and wipe the smirk off the guy in the two seat that's been raising me with American Airlines. After a while, though, it seems that I lose my touch and my "feelings" aren't so right-on any more. I'm starting to think that the poker sites get too worried when really good players like me win too much right away. I guess they figure that all the other players will get discouraged and quit.

What do you think, Al?
Old 12-22-2003, 07:44 PM

Read my earlier reply in this thread. The website have too profitable a business to risk destruction by cheating.
Regards
Al
Old 12-22-2003, 11:46 PM

Al - I know us psychologists have been accused of having no sense of humor but I can't believe you didn't realize this post was in jest.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:59 PM

Hi Lou,

<<I ram and jam on just about "any two" beacause I just have that "feeling". Then, sure enough, I hit runner-runner to take it down and wipe the smirk off the guy in the two seat that's been raising me with American Airlines.
I'm starting to think that the poker sites get too worried when really good players like me win too much right away.>>

Ummmmm ... really good players like you ... yeah, right....

Cris
Old 12-23-2003, 05:00 AM

Poker sites use RNG with number sets corresponding to each card generally containing strings of 10 or more digits to order cards. Lou, the results are random, standard deviations reflect swings, and the card rooms could NOT care less about your 10 20 100 or even 3000 bucks. Random results are critical to their biz, believe me, they going to produce them.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and heres my theory.. if a new player signs up a new account the most important thing for a poker site is to get that player stuck to the site.. right so far? and the almost only way to ensure him playin for hours is to let him win some money in the beginning..

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical conspiracy theory. The aliens are conspiring with the government too. Both the alien theory and your theory of "let them win early" are equally preposterous. Luck is luck, and sometimes the magoos get real, real lucky.

al
Old 12-22-2003, 12:47 PM

Yes, you are being paranoid. The websites do NOT cheat you because they would be crazy to do so. Even a hint of dishonesty would destroy their extremely profitable business.
Go to cardplayer.com, click on magazine and writers, and read the article by Lou Krieger with the word "paranoid" in the title. It explains why you and others have paranoid feelings.
Regards,
Al