Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2003, 10:49 PM

Default bet into on the turn: advice requested

Hi. My instinct (or experience, perhaps!) for this situation is unclear. Any comments would be appreciated.

Online 2/4 game, 9 handed.

I am UTG with AJo. I raise.

I don't want this to be a debate on AJo up front - I've read the arguments before. If it's wrong, that error is dwarfed by my typical post flop play. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] So that's what I want to worry about. Anyway, to be clear, I chose to raise this time because a few seemingly tight players just sat down, and because I hadn't gotten raising hands up front in a long time. I thought overall I had a chance at stealing or getting headsup.

One MP called. The SB and BB called as well.

Flop came Ks Jc 4s. I have no spades.
Checked to me; I bet. MP behind me folds, but the 2 blinds call.

Turn is 4d, pairing the board. SB checks, BB bets into me.
Your thoughts on a play?

Old 12-11-2003, 11:11 PM

Default Re: bet into on the turn: advice requested

Fold the turn, you showed strength UTG, got called, bet flop and got called, any King beats you and wouldn't be surprise if BB had A4s. Don't throw good money after bad.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:16 AM

I think I'd fold here. The only thing you beat is a weak J. I think the blinds may have bet on the flop with that. How were the blinds playing?
Old 12-12-2003, 12:17 AM

Fold, it doesn't make any sense for the BB to be betting any hand you can beat unless you know the player to make stone-cold bluffs and you aren't getting odds to call to an A or J if your opponent has a king.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:17 AM

Default results

okay, okay. I folded the turn to the bet. I ended up second guessing myself at the end of the hand, because the paired board is a scare card, and there's a flush draw there. Betting out from the blinds is if he's calling, or almost calling anyway is generally good play.

River was another King, SB bet and BB called. SB showed J8s, BB showed A7o.

Shouldn't second guess the results, I know. And straightforward play is obviously going to win in the long run here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It's just, you know, I hate to get outplayed when I'm not doing anything really unreasonable. I especially hate to get outplayed by J8, but what can you do?
Old 12-12-2003, 01:22 AM

Default Re: results

Just make sure you make note BB is capable of that kind of bluff for the rest of your time at the table and if you ever see them again in the future.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:39 AM

Elizabeth:
The answer is very player specific; I have played against opponents who will routinely raise whenever a threat card comes when holding A-small or (especially) small pocket pairs.

Against these players it is worth re-raising, which gives you the chance to get heads up (you sort of expect SB to fold -- but watch out if he doesn't), and will win when BB is betting with semi-cheese and folds. Also, you charge him/her for drawing against you when BB is semi-bluffing with a draw. And unless BB has a 4, you have outs to pull ahead with the right river card if you're behind.

The important thing is getting some idea what BB will raise with. And how often he'll try to exploit a threat card.

Gino
Old 12-12-2003, 01:32 PM

There are all the marks of a bluff in this situation.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:40 PM

The player is representing a 4 but also may have a K or J with a prompted kicker.

Whoever said it was "player specific" is right on: folding, calling, and raising are all reasonable options. Calling is probably the right option most of the time.

- Louie