Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2003, 06:59 PM

Location: USS George washington, Virgina, 7 months until Los Angeles
Default how do you play K Q suited?

Ok it's 6 handed, no limit holdem. Blinds are 50 and 100
your on the button with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and sb is tight as a rock, big blind is also relatively tight and will relinquish his blinds if rasied and doesn't have a hand. seat 3 folds. seat 4 raises to 300, 5 folds. It's on you

You have 4400 and seat 4 has 7000, sb and bb have $5,000 each.

Would you raise? How would you play this Preflop?

Ok the hand under question continues, you raise 200 making it 500. sb and bb fold and seat 4 (who plays all suited connectors and decent hands, a player to be respected) just calls.

The flop comes down A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and seat 4 bets 1000.

What is your play here?

Results later.

Old 08-26-2003, 07:09 PM

Default Re: how do you play K Q suited?

These are my thoughts from a relative newbie.

We need more info to make the call. Where in Tourney are you at. How many remaining, How far are you from money? Whats avergae stack size. This sounds like a single table tourney so you have 3 more places to go to hit the money.

Only 2 options in my mind. Fold or Raise All-in. If this is a single table tourney and there are 6 remaining I would probably fold against a tight player and all-in against a loose or maniac.

Jim
Old 09-01-2003, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this is a single table tourney and there are 6 remaining I would probably fold against a tight player and all-in against a loose or maniac.

Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this sound exactly backwards to anyone else?

Anyway, my thoughts are that you need to either fold or smooth call with KQs preflop here. If I have good command/a good read on the player I call. If I don't, I just fold and wait for a better situation. Playing KQ is tricky business.

The flush draw comes and he makes a good size bet. I'd only raise all in if he was a tight player very capable of laying down AK or AQ here. Any other player and I'm in call or fold mode. If I know I'll get paid off when I hit, I call, otherwise just fold and save my decent stack from taking the 20% hit.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2003, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this is a single table tourney and there are 6 remaining I would probably fold against a tight player and all-in against a loose or maniac.
Jim
-Does this sound exactly backwards to anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed yes, I'd rather go all-in vs the tight player since there is a better chance to induce a fold from him then from the loose/maniac. The later will too often call for the all-in on a draw to work. Would basically meen puting all your money in on a 2:1 shot.

-Happy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2003, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jim
-Does this sound exactly backwards to anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed yes, I'd rather go all-in vs the tight player since there is a better chance to induce a fold from him then from the loose/maniac. The later will too often call for the all-in on a draw to work. Would basically meen puting all your money in on a 2:1 shot.

-Happy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm finding this play rarely works as intended at Party Poker. It is a great way to mix up your game at Paradise however. Amazing the differences between the two sites.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:13 PM

Hi, I don't understand the raise by you of only $200, You say a very good player raised $300 3xs bb and then you followed with a smaller [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] raise. He know you don't have A so he can bluff or win with smaller pr. I think he has a-j or middle pr. LOL Ron
Old 08-26-2003, 09:22 PM

I'd consider folding before raising, what hand can he raise with that doesn't have you dominated? or at best 50/50?
Old 08-27-2003, 02:07 AM

here are my plays in order of preference (from good to bad), assuming you have reason to believe the raiser does not have to have a hand to make this play:

1. raise big (1000ish) and hope he lays his hand down
2. fold
3. raise small
4. call

i would never even consider calling or raising small here. your goal in a tournament is to win pots without showing down hands, and neither of these will accomplish that. if the player has pretty strict raising standards, you have a fold. if not, you can choose between a semi-bluff big raise and a fold. i don't like the min reraise at all.

on the flop, you have an all-in or fold situation, and again i prefer the fold.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:30 PM

I like the way the min raise to 500 took out the blinds but as a rule I hate them and would probably have raised to 700 and make seat 4 think about his hand for a bit.

As the hand stands, once bet into, you should probably just call. Seat 4 has an ace and an all in raise will probably induce a call, he'll see it as a coinflip to knock you out of the tourney knowing you're drawing.

Calling would also have the advantage of scaring seat 4 if he doesn't have an ace. He may check to you on the turn in which case, it's an automatic all in IMO if it's a blank or spade.

A lot of people don't like raises with KQs/o but I like this hand, I've seen it do a lot more damage than people give it credit for.

Jon
Old 08-27-2003, 11:08 PM

Against a good player, I muck this so fast my cards would probably hit the pile before the player before me.

Realistically what hand would this good player have that you aren't a dog to???? Muck preflop is what I would do, but that's me.